Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Improve a stock trigger

Feedback Score
    The lower/trigger also sees action when I use my .22 AR upper. The trigger has probably been pulled 2000 times and I haven't noticed much of a change over time. I will probably order the 4.5 lb springs and reduce the weight of the hammer. I'll post my results of the project and try to find something I can use to measure the trigger pull weight before and after.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thetallengineer View Post
    I have a RRA AR and the stock trigger leaves a lot to be desired. I don't have a scale but the trigger pull is much more difficult than my colt.

I don't expect a stock AR trigger to be like a finely tuned bolt action rifle trigger, but is there a safe/reliable way to improve the existing hardware?
    There is a fellow in Colorado. Springs, CO that has quite a reputation of doing very crisp and reliable trigger jobs on AR triggers named Bill Springfield. I just sent him one of my triggers for a "Trial Run", and if they are as good as his reputation, I'll send him my other 2.

I just can't justify $200 for a Timney single stage trigger if there is a good gunsmith out there that can provide what I outlined above.

He also does competition type trigger work, but I don't recall the spec's or the prices.

wspringfield@comcast.net

Feedback Score

Shoot the piss out of it

Life is simple..shoot the piss out of it

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I have tried a few things to improve the trigger pull on my ARs.

1. Dry-fire. A lot. Seriously a lot.
    2. Pull upward on the hammer while pulling the trigger.
    3. Polish the trigger sear with a surgical arkansas stone. Polish sear notch with Flitz.
    4. Dry-fire with Flitz on hammer sear engagement notch.

None of these methods will reduce the trigger pull, but it will be much crisper, which is more of what I am looking for. None of these methods will remove material from your sear engagement surfaces, only polish them.

I also lube the engagement surfaces with Slip2000.

I don't get pre-64 model 70 triggers out of this, hell it might be doing nothing more than make me feel good.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123