Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi-Auto Rifle "Precision" definition...what's yours?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Semi-Auto Rifle "Precision" definition...what's yours?

I wanted to start this thread in order to have folks who participate actively or plan to participate actively in this "Precision" sub forum weigh in with their exact thoughts and definition of what the term "Precision" actually means and translates to in the real world when shooting the said "Precision" rifles.

IMHO.....

"Precision" is not only a form of shooting with a rifle, it's a specific set of specs/parts that make up certain rifles, and it's also a mentality or mindset using a much more methodical and deliberate approach to shooting. Quite frankly, "good enough" need not apply...it's all about striving for ultimate perfection using numerous aspects in order to fulfill that perfection.

"Combat" or "practical" accuracy has NO place in the "Precision" realm, owning a colt 6920 and scoping it out for a day w. some match quality ammo to fire some groups or shoot some LR steel is completely beyond the pale of true "Precision"....Yet so many people believe that because they don't break in their CL barrel on their M4, or they wait for thousands of rounds before cleaning it, or that SS barrels are a waste, or that they didn't need a FF rail, etc., and they just shot some "precision" groups with their non "Precision" rifle they some how have merit to speak on the topic of true "precision".

This is a really niche'd sub forum, not everyone and every rifle apply....I just think it's important to draw a clear line between "precision" and "practical"...and try and keep as much "practical" as we can outta this subforum. It's completely killing this forum imho.

The "how often do I clean my barrel" thread in the General or technical AR discussion sub forums should be completely different then the "how often do I clean my match SS precision barrel" thread in this "Precision" subforum for example.

The phrase..."why use a filet mignon when a sloppy joe gets the job done" might work in the other various sub forums, however in this one it's not applicable in the least.

"Good enough" and "precision" is in my book an oxymoron.

Feedback Score
    I don't know... Does a 1 MOA rifle qualify? 1/2 MOA? 1/4 MOA? Do you need a mil adjustable scope, and ballistics charts on the side of your stock?

My definition would be a gun that is capable of repeatable 1/2 MOA groups, which is pretty rare air. Regardless of parts, investment, or brand.

Long range shooting is a sport. "Precision Rifle" is a relative term.

JW

Feedback Score
    Probability of a first shot hit on a target of a certain size at some range.

Since we are talking about semi autos you could perhaps change "probability of a first shot hit" with "time to hit".
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    I believe it has much to do with the rifles intended purpose. Why did the person build/buy that particular rifle. If it was to shoot, or learn to shoot, sub-moa groups at distance then I believe they belong in this sub forum.

Their first build may not accomplish their goal, but this should be where they come to learn what changes they need to make, in their rifle, ammo and shooting technique, in order to achieve their goal.

Just some thoughts. Hope they makes sense.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWard View Post
    My definition would be a gun that is capable of repeatable 1/2 MOA groups, which is pretty rare air. Regardless of parts, investment, or brand.
    Not only that, but a shooter that can exploit that type of accuracy every time.
    Failure to train is training to fail.

Feedback Score
    An M107 is a 3 MOA 'sniper' rifle. That's "good enough" for anti-matériel work at long range.

I think precision is when you start trading off lightweight features in favor of repeatable accuracy features.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    I went with the Mk12 Mod 1 as my "Precision" rig. Its capable of 1/2 MOA when shot in a mechanical rest, but its light enough to carry in the field if needed.

I setup my 4in steel plate at 400 yards 3 days ago. We managed to have just a slight breeze and a slightly overcast day. I put 20 out of 20 75gr Hornady BTHP Match handloads on this steel plate. This was shooting off of just sand bags(front and rear).

The whole purpose of this build was to fill a role of Precision Rifle, Im working on getting 550 yards setup at home, and I'd like to see what it does at that distance.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks guys, no right or wrong answers.

Personally I don't break in my match SS barrels per say, I do however clean very often. I buy into and document as much as I can things like mirage effects, cold bore shots, higher temp's on SS barrels and how that translates to precision accuracy opening up, etc. I take none of those things into consideration outside of "precision" and by extension outside of this subforum.

I also don't think anyone should have to shoot certain group sizes to qualify for discussion in this subforum...its all about chasing the most accuracy that is possible for their said application.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 04-20-11 at 21:49.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If I wake up at the range with a gun in front of me, I know I've been shooting "precision".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    to me, a "precision" semi-auto is one that can provide accurate fire at distance at a rapid rate. My only real experience with it is watching others use a Mk12 and my own experience with the weapon. We used it as an extension of a M16/M4. It had the ability to see further than our 4x Acogs and provide accurate fire further downrange. On the flip side, you could put it on group therapy and send lead down range.

the military definition and the civilian definition are different. an example of this would be that military precision is what trident calls "practical" from what I can tell.
    Last edited by 1371USMCFL; 04-21-11 at 07:36.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast