Thread: Go compete

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Go compete

I shot a steel challenge match for the first time this weekend. It was my first competition in almost a year, I probably have shot less than a dozen total. That gun is still under 1k rounds and I’ve probably only shot two mags through it all year as I don’t get to shoot much anymore.

My point, which some of you have known far longer than I have, is that competition has a ton of significant benefits over just blasting at a range. There were a lot of people there that are far older than me and have been shooting for much longer but have never done anything formal or structured. Go challenge yourself and your gear. Clearly my KKM barrel needs some work.

https://youtube.com/shorts/lIfeXsidPfY?feature=share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Hell yeah, I just did my first match in a year.

I identified a few things to work on!
    https://youtube.com/shorts/Ntx6BUE5CVA?feature=share

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Too busy for this match stuff! You sound like Pappabear.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I used to do a lot of IDPA matches, and definitely need to start up again. I still train alot, but agree there are many huge benefits to competing, especially in matches with good courses of fire. And i liked how IDPA was specifically focused on every day carry fundamentals and scenarios.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Go compete

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Hell yeah, I just did my first match in a year.

I identified a few things to work on!
    https://youtube.com/shorts/Ntx6BUE5CVA?feature=share
    That’s solid placement from a match that size.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Too busy for this match stuff! You sound like Pappabear.
    Seems like you guys shoot a lot, maybe take a break from your normal long range stuff to mix it up.

Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    I used to do a lot of IDPA matches, and definitely need to start up again. I still train alot, but agree there are many huge benefits to competing, especially in matches with good courses of fire. And i liked how IDPA was specifically focused on every day carry fundamentals and scenarios.
    I haven’t shot IDPA, the only time I considered it, I learned that WMLs weren’t allowed. I don’t know if appendix was either. Shooting open with a modified Glock is more realistic than that for me so I never looked further. The local club here does an unsanctioned concealed carry match sometimes too, I guess it’s a combination of everything which sounds cool.

Either way, the point being that a lot of threads on this forum have drifted from actual shooting and there is some great time/money value in local matches.

Last edited by Wake27; 05-15-23 at 18:50.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I shot a steel challenge match for the first time this weekend. It was my first competition in almost a year, I probably have shot less than a dozen total. That gun is still under 1k rounds and I’ve probably only shot two mags through it all year as I don’t get to shoot much anymore.

My point, which some of you have known far longer than I have, is that competition has a ton of significant benefits over just blasting at a range. There were a lot of people there that are far older than me and have been shooting for much longer but have never done anything formal or structured. Go challenge yourself and your gear. Clearly my KKM barrel needs some work.

https://youtube.com/shorts/lIfeXsidPfY?feature=share

I would love too if a box of ammo didnt cost the same as filling up my car.

oh re/hand load you say? getting into that is how much my car cost me.

Feedback Score
    That’s solid placement from a match that size.

Thanks, a little frustrating as I used to place in top 10-20% out East, with more competition. Eastern PA matches had 150 shooters, multiple GMs and Ms... but I was consistent then. Just getting back into it. Im hoping to win at least one by the end of the year here... but I need time for rock climbing and long range too... i need more time!

Uspsa now allows appendix CC and wml for CO division
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-15-23 at 20:10.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Well done. Competitive shooting will definitely “up your game”.
    I shot USPSA for years and placed well at Area 3 and 4 Championships.
    Keep at it.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Seems like you guys shoot a lot, maybe take a break from your normal long range stuff to mix it up.
    Blaspheme!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Go Compete !
    100% agree, competition will take you out of your comfort zone and cause you to confront shooting problems one would never expect. People get nervous and, I think, equipment gets nervous.... Guns will malfunction that have never malfunctioned before. I used to do a lot of IDPA and a little USPSA but strictly handgun competition got a little boring even though I was hardly a master..
    Now my prefered competitive outlet is 2 gun action, I would hesitate to call it extreme, everything is "extreme" these days. I really like the "Brutality" series of matches.