Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First attempt at building my own AR

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Thumbs up Very nice!

I got a BCM 16" middy, and I wish I went with the light weight profile.
    Being used to the 14.5" M4, the middy felt really front heavy with the FSB more forward.

I don't know if I would have spent the money on that trigger with a chrome lined barrel. But that's just me and my humble opinion.

I'd like to know your impressions of the A5 kit on a middy.
    What weight buffer are you running?
    I think Vltor has 3 different weights?

The Smartgunner deal was a great deal. Too bad they didn't anticipate the response. DD barrels are nice! I wish I would have had the monies to jump on that. I would have been happy waiting for a good 16" ,(or even 14.5"), lightweight middy.

All in all, great job!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Thanks Quentin. Do you have any pics posted? Shoot me the link if you do. I'd like to see it.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    I got a BCM 16" middy, and I wish I went with the light weight profile.
    Being used to the 14.5" M4, the middy felt really front heavy with the FSB more forward.

I don't know if I would have spent the money on that trigger with a chrome lined barrel. But that's just me and my humble opinion.

I'd like to know your impressions of the A5 kit on a middy.
    What weight buffer are you running?
    I think Vltor has 3 different weights?

The Smartgunner deal was a great deal. Too bad they didn't anticipate the response. DD barrels are nice! I wish I would have had the monies to jump on that. I would have been happy waiting for a good 16" ,(or even 14.5"), lightweight middy.

All in all, great job!
    Thanks. There's not a lot I can tell you right now since I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet. I haven't even bought any ammo yet to see how it feels loaded (which I'm embarrassed to say). All my fun money went toward buying the final components to finish the rifle itself. Unloaded I can say the weight feels good to me. I don't have a lot of AR experience but when I hold the rifle it doesn't feel noticeably heavy to me at the front or at the rear.

Right now I have the standard 5.3 oz buffer installed, and it's the lightest one they offer for the A5. If I have trouble with short stroking after a few hundred rounds then I'll do what some others have done and swap a tungsten weight from the Vltor with a steel weight from a regular H buffer to lighten it up a bit more and see if that helps.

As far as the trigger is concerned, the one I have is meant for combat style shooting/general use and isn't really geared for precision shooting. The trigger that's most comparable to mine, but is meant more for precision is the SD-E. It's pretty much the same trigger, but with a lighter pull. However, I respect your opinion and am not offended by it in the least.

Yes the SmartGunner deal was really good. I couldn't touch the upper setup I got for the same money from anywhere else. The other side of that is that it took 16 weeks to the day to receive it. I even thought about canceling the order at times, but now I'm glad I waited it out. Tommy was great though, and kept in touch with me on a pretty regular basis. I think they just got a lot more orders on that deal than they anticipated.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Roger that.
    You'll have to post about the trigger then.
    It sounds like a great trigger for a SDM type build.

I like my GI trigger, though I've only shot out to 300 with it.
    Both of my ARs have the standard GI trigger and they both break the same. One is a BCM, the other came locally through a fun show from M&A, (they claimed it was a LMT).

Can't wait to get a range report!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I can't wait to give one.
    Steve

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Thanks Quentin. Do you have any pics posted? Shoot me the link if you do. I'd like to see it.
    Sure, Steve. It's a basic version of yours using MOE handguards. Long wait getting these uppers but well worth it! (Especially since I wanted a V3 without rails.) My wait was only about 6 weeks because it was such a basic build.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=79327
    Last edited by Quentin; 04-23-11 at 00:21.
    US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I finally got some (cheap) ammo in today. I ended up settling on 55gr WPA due to financial reasons last week when I ordered it. Anyway here's a pic of the rifle on the bathroom scale with a fully loaded PMag.

There is still a Scout light coming, as well as a sling and Aimpoint, and I'm curious to see how much weight that will add. The loaded mag didn't add quite as much as I expected, as the rifle weighed in at 6.8 lbs with an unloaded mag.

If everything goes as planned I'll get to the range Friday and see how it performs with the Wolf ammo.
    Last edited by SteveL; 05-11-11 at 20:50.
    Steve

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 07-15-11 at 18:41.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I wish I could go tomorrow, but I'll be at the fire station, and I was at my part time job today (the one that's funding this little project). I'm very anxious to go shoot it.

ETA: The Scout light will be mounted on an IWC Mount-N-Slot mount specifically for the Scout light and TRX Extreme rail. I'll also have an SR-07 tape switch. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the excess cable yet though. This has actually been backordered for a while, but it should be shipping to me Friday and the shipment will also have a Huskey Amentum slider sling by Ares Armor. It's coming along faster than I expected. I thought this would be on backorder for another 2 or 3 weeks.
    Last edited by SteveL; 05-11-11 at 20:56.
    Steve

Feedback Score
    I really like that 13" rail, covers most of the barrel.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast