Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flash hider suggestions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
    Its interesting when I last spoke to YHM they told me that the 5C2 is superior as a FH than to the original Phantom plus the benefits of it being a break as well.
    If this is the model that simply has a closed bottom, then calling it a brake is a marketing overstatment! I like them, but they are no brake.

Feedback Score
    From the YHM site
    "Phantom 5C2 Comp/Flash Suppressor
    $29.95
    YHM-28-5C2
    The popular Phantom Flash Suppressor has been redesigned to work as a muzzle compensator while maintaining the excellent flash hiding capabilities of its predecessor. This 5 port design has no downward facing port which helps eliminate dust problems when shooting in the prone position. The 5C2 keeps the aggressive front end used in hand to hand situations. For threaded barrels only. Includes crush washer. "

I bought 4 of them t tryout but havent even mounted them yet so I just go by what the ad says.

cebuboy Guest
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, so it seems that the Phantom is the best for all around work considering its price and performance.

How about the VLTOR flash hider/comp? Is it any louder than the std A2? I cant forget the time when we were doing 2-man drills, one of the guy had a comp on his rifle and the blast just blew away his buddies cap and glasses.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cebuboy View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, so it seems that the Phantom is the best for all around work considering its price vs performance.

How about the VLTOR flash hider/comp? Is it any louder than the std A2? I cant forget the time when we were doing 2-man drills, one of the guy had a comp on his rifle and the blast just blew away his buddies cap and glasses.

The VLTOR is one of the best "hybrids" on the market. It does a little of everything.

It is not louder than an A2 and kills flash like an A2.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
    From the YHM site
    "Phantom 5C2 Comp/Flash Suppressor
    $29.95
    YHM-28-5C2
    The popular Phantom Flash Suppressor has been redesigned to work as a muzzle compensator while maintaining the excellent flash hiding capabilities of its predecessor. This 5 port design has no downward facing port which helps eliminate dust problems when shooting in the prone position.

I bought 4 of them t tryout but havent even mounted them yet so I just go by what the ad says.
    They are good - don't get me wrong. I use them on some uppers. But by simply eliminating the downward facing port, they now claim it's also a compensator. It's a good design because it does eliminate dust problems when shooting prone, but it's not a compensator.

This is the same design change of the A1 to the A2 FH. There's a thread on a real FH/brake combo somewhere on the board if that's what you're looking for.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'm really liking the Primary Weapons FSC556, no flash and works VERY well as a comp, it is louder than an A2 but that's the price you pay for a comp. There is no 'free-lunch'. My Colt will be getting one very soon. Another benefit is that it will work with the Gem-Tech HALO suppressor. We'll be doing a night shoot at Quantico in a week and a half on a Saturday night. I'll try and get some video and stills of this and other flash suppressors, sound suppressors and comps.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chp5 View Post
    It's a good design because it does eliminate dust problems when shooting prone, but it's not a compensator.
    I've never found that any of the muzzle devices without bottom slots/cuts/ports or whatever makes a bit of difference on dust signature. (at least in the desert)

If it's really dry, there's a dust poof five feet long and 3 or 4 feet wide with every shot.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

cebuboy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    The VLTOR is one of the best "hybrids" on the market. It does a little of everything.

It is not louder than an A2 and kills flash like an A2.

C4
    Thanks for the info Grant, will try one out when I can get one. And it does look very well made too...

Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    We'll be doing a night shoot at Quantico in a week and a half on a Saturday night. I'll try and get some video and stills of this and other flash suppressors, sound suppressors and comps.
    Looking forward to those pictures. The FSC556 looks good too, the flash is not that big anymore. How about the blast in confined spaces? I know comps are loud and some are just louder than others... not to mention flamethrowers too.

Feedback Score
    I got the Vortex for my 16" carbine. I don't care whether it looks mean or not, or whether it functons as a brake or not. All I want ti to do is eliminate flash, and it's the best, so that's the one I got.
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    I stand corrected, it is the VLTOR I was thinking of.
    Phantoms rule!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast