Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock options for 20" SPS Tactical (.308)

Feedback Score

Stock options for 20" SPS Tactical (.308)

I have the 20" SPS Tactical (.308) with a rubber Hogue stock. I'm very new to precision shooting but read a lot about the stock flexing. So I want to upgrade my stock.

I'm looking at the Bell and Carlson Medalist Light Tactical Rifle Stock Remington 700 BDL Short Action with Aluminum Bedding Block System Varmint Barrel Channel Synthetic Black, and the H-S Precision Pro-Series Rifle Stock Remington 700 BDL Short Action Police Sniper Varmint Barrel Channel Synthetic Black.

Can anyone tell me anything about these two stocks?

They're both under $300.

Will either make much difference to a new shooter?

Thanks.
    "You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

NRA LE Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
    Pa ACT235 Firearms Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How does your rifle shoot with the stock it has?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    How does your rifle shoot with the stock it has?
    Bingo.

It's one of those things that gets bandied about the gun forums and repeated as gospel but no one has actually quantified it in any meaningful way.

A random gun forum junkie sees the forestock flex (slightly), assume it must be touching the barrel and accordingly must have a profound harmonic effect, they can't hit their target (because they're new shooters) and so assume it's the stock and not them. This tidbit of "wisdom" gets repeated online until it becomes the worst piece of junk ever to be foisted on the public. This trend isn't even specific to the Hogue/SPS stock.

The stock doesn't flex that much, I've tried it, I've played with it and I can still slide a dollar bill between the barrel and the stock. It may appear to be touching (slightly) but it isn't and even if it was the effect would be so minimal as to be non-existant for all practical purposes.

Using the Hogue stock at a sniper course I was able to hit at 1000 yards without difficulty. Ammo selection, optic, training play an exponentially greater role. Rule out those variables first.

If you want a nicer stock because you want a nicer stock, it fits you better or has some other feature you want...knock yourself out. For the new shooter any difference in accuracy would be non-existant and for the more experienced shooter I doubt there would be a $300 improvement.

When you've shot it a bunch, mastered the principles of precision shooting, and can clearly quantify/identify the stock's (as opposed to your) shortcomings. Then you can invest the $300.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 04-21-11 at 09:52.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    The only stock I am considering is the XLR Industries. In the meantime, I have learned a lot about bedding my cheap plastic stock, and I highly recommend you do so as well. It only costs $50, time and patience...all well worth the investment. First, read Page 1 of this thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...2&nt=10&page=1

Now you know what to do generally. Since you have a Hogue, read this:

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Reso...+Compound.html

Now get some DevCon 10110 and go for it!

ETA: it is much easier than you may think. Even on a $300 stock, I think bedding is a Good Thing, so worst case scenario, you learn an important skill and buy a new stock later. You don't really have to remove the trigger, either, but removing the scope and one piece base (if you have one) is an easy worthwhile step. Feel free to post here other questions, and be sure to post your results!
    Last edited by carbinero; 04-21-11 at 12:16.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Light Tactical is nice. I like the look and it's really solid.

This is on a 26" SPS Varmint, but you get the idea. A lot of my PD hunting buddies have the HS precision stock and it's really nice too. If they cost the same, I'd probably get the HS but I found the B&C for like $150 cheaper somewhere so I went that route.

Feedback Score
    Take it from someone who spent money a B&C stock. Just shoot the snot out of your rifle with the Hogue. Save your $300.

The B&C is a "nicer" stock than the plastic Hogue, but it won't make a noticeable difference in the way your rifle shoots, functions, or feels.

After getting some face time with your Hogue, let ergonomics and function drive your stock selection... not just urge to replace original equipment.

Eventually, when you end up spending $1000 on a Manners or McMillan and Badger Ordnance bottom metal, you'll be glad you didn't waste $300 on a B&C that isn't much of an "upgrade" from your Hogue.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the honest advice.

I think I'll save my money and just buy more ammo and targets.

I shoot now using bags from a bench.

I do want to put on a bipod and shoot prone.

BTW, the gun shoots better than I do.
    "You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

NRA LE Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
    Pa ACT235 Firearms Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    If your shooting from bags, you should be fine. The only time I was able to get my old houge stock to flex up into the barrel was when I preloaded the crap out of my bi-pod.

I did end up replacing it with a choate tactical stock because I got a really good deal on it, and it fits me like 10 times better.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    B&C light tactical

Part I
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=76313
    Part II
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=76314
    Part III
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=76316

I spent just under $300 putting this stock together. I have owned McMillian's, and for the money you are better off going with the B&C on a "Stock" SPS 20". If it was a higher end build I would say go with the McM right off the bat, but if you plan on just changing the stock the B&C is a much more prudent purchase.

Feedback Score
    I am replacing the HS Precision on my LTR with a Manners MCS-T

There's really nothing wrong with the HS, the gun shoots .5" at 300 yards. Just like the ergonomics of the MCS-T
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast