Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock options for 20" SPS Tactical (.308)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ccoker View Post

There's really nothing wrong with the HS, the gun shoots .5" at 300 yards.
    Your LTR shoots <0.17 MOA at 300 yards?!

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 8200rpm View Post
    Your LTR shoots <0.17 MOA at 300 yards?!
    I'm guessing he meant 5.0" or 0.5' (6" or 2moa)

If my rifle shot <0.17 MOA I'd be leaving that sucker in its current configuration.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    A guy behind the gun store counter told me he shot 1/2" at 200 with his new LMT 308. What can you say?
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by carbinero View Post
    A guy behind the gun store counter told me......
    There should be a book with this as the title. Or perhaps something like:

"A Guy Behind the Gun Store Counter Told Me......."
    (A compilation of fantasies, lies and other inconceivable bullshit)

Feedback Score
    I should clarify that is with carefully worked up handloads
    5 shots that can be completely covered with a dime at 100 yards
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    If your shooting from bags, you should be fine. The only time I was able to get my old houge stock to flex up into the barrel was when I preloaded the crap out of my bi-pod.
    This is what I've kinda observed. I can push the front of the stock to where it'll touch the barrel... so I've opted to shoot off bags only.

If I keep my pack close to the receiver, I can't see it being a problem.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This is what I've kinda observed. I can push the front of the stock to where it'll touch the barrel... so I've opted to shoot off bags only.

If I keep my pack close to the receiver, I can't see it being a problem.
    I stiffened the forend with MarineTex, relieved to plenty of gap, and that problem went away. A less expensive option would be 2 part epoxy from a hobby shop.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    So did you notice accuracy issues or just that it touched the barrel?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Sorry I can't tell you scientifically, since I added weight to the buttstock at the same time (also epoxied in a side swivel and modded the grip). Accuracy did improve, but I can't say whether it was only due to the forend stiffening or the ergo improvement as well. I use a 13-25" Harris for hunting in the high desert foothills, so that further diminishes the scientific control, in comparison with using a 6-9 for example.

ETA: if you were asking if I noticed diminished accuracy with the bipod versus off the bags, I also can't give you a scientific answer, since it had only 200 rounds or so through the new factory barrel when I bedded, so it was still breaking in. I knew the stock would need stiffening or replacement, so not worth testing before and after, to me.
    Last edited by carbinero; 06-14-11 at 20:13.

Feedback Score
    Really like the Epoxy idea, wish I had though of that.

Shot mine for a year and a half before I noticed on very warm days the stock flexing enough to touch. I too had read about the stock flexing and had kept a very close eye on it. Thought I had gotten lucky and ended up with a stiffer stock until the 90+ degree range day. I ended up going the B&C light tactical route.

Can honestly say that I haven't been able to beat my previous best group with the replacement stock yet but I thoroughly enjoy working up various hand loads. The factory over mould will support 1/2" 100yd groups, even with out handloads(think Federal GMM), which is really more thank anyone can ask of a $500-600 rifle

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast