Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's this new way of holding the rifle?

Feedback Score

What's this new way of holding the rifle?

I'm noticing in pictures lately that guys are holding the handguard differently. A right handed shooter for example, which holds the handguard with his left hand is pictured holding the handguard with his palm on the left of the handguard instead of on the bottom. What's up with that?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've been doing it since late 2005, so have a lot of people I know.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just the latest fashion trend. Kinda like bell bottoms and parachute pants.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    I'm noticing in pictures lately that guys are holding the handguard differently. A right handed shooter for example, which holds the handguard with his left hand is pictured holding the handguard with his palm on the left of the handguard instead of on the bottom. What's up with that?
    Because all those guys in the pictures watched the Art of the Tactical Carbine DVDs and replaced the VFG they use to run directly in front of their carbine's mag well with the AFG.

Monkey see, monkey do?

Notice the trend to drop RISs all together for MOE handguards or the lightweight tubes with rails at 12 o'clock?

It's the nature of the beast.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Because all those guys in the pictures watched the Art of the Tactical Carbine DVDs and replaced the VFG they use to run directly in front of their carbine's mag well with the AFG.

Monkey see, monkey do?

Notice the trend to drop RISs all together for MOE handguards or the lightweight tubes with rails at 12 o'clock?

It's the nature of the beast.
    I believe Kyle Lamb was using the same type of forward support hand grip long before MagPul made it popular.

ETA: OP, Just for clarification are you talking about this:

Or this:
    Last edited by nickdrak; 04-22-11 at 02:20.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    I believe Kyle Lamb was using the same type of forward support hand grip long before MagPul made it popular.
    It woudn't suprise me, I have a long wing span with my orangutan arms so the "new" method has been natural to me for some time.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think the OP is referring to the first pic. I haven't subscribed to MagPul school of ergonomics yet, I'm still running a VFG and it works fine for me but I may give the AFG/MagPul hold fad a try with my next build and see what the buzz is about.

Any advantage to this method? I read something somewhere less muzzle rise with this method so I'm curious to try it out myself.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Theoretically it puts your point of contact with the foregrip closer to the weapon's center of mass and, in contrast to the traditional grip the OP referred to, above the bore. So, theoretically, you exert less energy getting your weapon on target as compared to a VFG, and less energy keeping it there under sustained fire.

The idea that your point of contact should be as near to the muzzle as is possible is similar to that involved in levers. Closer you are to the end, easier it is on you. Not a perfect analogy, since an AR isn't rotating around a fixed point, but that's the idea as I understand it.

The physics of it are simple enough and undeniable in my opinion, whether or not they are actually beneficial enough for you to alter your preferred grip is a decision you will have to make for yourself.

The notion of "driving" the weapon towards targets which has grown, I think, out of this thumb-over-bore craze ventures more into the subjective and user-specific realm of techniques. That is, not everyone will find that they naturally direct their straight arm at a target very well and even fewer will give a new grip a chance to prove itself before going back to their traditional VFGs. Personally, I find it easier to control my weapon and manipulate it "hyper-violently," in Magpul terms. But that's just me.

Feedback Score
    People have been doing this a while from what I understand, I came to rifles from being a pistol shooter (who was taught so keep the support hand in control of the weapon), so for some reason when I went to rifles (AKs first) it just kind of came naturally.

Then I realized that Kyle Lamb, Magpul, and others have been advocating this method, once I came to realize the glory of errornet forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    Just the latest fashion trend. Kinda like bell bottoms and parachute pants.
    Isn't that what dude's said about small caliber high velocity cartridges?
    Last edited by Magic_Salad0892; 04-22-11 at 03:48.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    Because we are shooting compact carbines at accelerated speed for several shots as fast as possible to turn booger-eating dirtbags into worm-chow, not 6 foot long muskets at bullseyes from irrelevant positions in inordinate time-frames.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast