Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's this new way of holding the rifle?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I watched a good bit of the Florida Games Bullseye Pistol Match last Saturday and was impressed by the wide variety of stances I saw. These people experiment a lot to get every advantage but there the all seem to do it differently. I have seen the same thing in other disciplines and in marksmanship books, particularly the Russian A.A. Yur'Yev's book on marksmanship. The point: there is no single or right way. My advice is don't adopt a style because it is cool or looks good and experiment to find what works for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Because we are shooting compact carbines at accelerated speed for several shots as fast as possible to turn booger-eating dirtbags into worm-chow, not 6 foot long muskets at bullseyes from irrelevant positions in inordinate time-frames.
    Actually if you look at old paintings of musket infantry they usually have their thumb over the barrel. It's easier to get leverage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRH View Post
    Actually if you look at old paintings of musket infantry they usually have their thumb over the barrel. It's easier to get leverage.
    I think that's less of a tactical hold and more of a case that a musket forend is slim enough that your hand just naturally wraps all the way around it--and your thumb has to go somewhere.

I don't use the side-hold on my carbine, but I can see where it would be useful controlling muzzle rise. Although the straight-line design of the AR-15 reduces muzzle rise, the modern trend of mounting the weapon high on your shoulder, instead of firmly in the arm pit, adds to muzzle rise by increasing the moment (lever) arm.

~Dan

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    One of the blocks I've run with our shooters at carbine drills is stance & grips. We demonstrate multiple methods, we get the shooter squared away (as much as possible given the amount of time we have) with various stances and grips, we give them chances to run them on various drills, and we allow them to make up their own mind what works for them. It is unfortunate that we don't get more time as some of the issues are simply fatigue-related and require days, not hours, to expose.

Regardless of whether you shoot predominately with the hand all the way out or all the way in, stock all the way out or stock all the way in, feet bladed or feet square, you should be at least familiar with other options as once you start moving and shooting and working around obstacles and tight spaces, all that shit goes out the window and you need to use what works then.

ETA:
    Not to mention hardware restrictions.
    7.0 rail on 9.0 barrel with can

~11.0 rail on 14.5" barrel
    *site's giving me trouble, will upload later*
    Last edited by rob_s; 04-22-11 at 08:29.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    Just the latest fashion trend. Kinda like bell bottoms and parachute pants.
    WORSE!

It's a way for instructors to lure students to spend their money learning something "new".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmFR4x-iXNU

If you haven't seen this video.... you have to. It's friggin hilarious.
    Last edited by markm; 04-22-11 at 08:18.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    The Costa beard during the "room clearing" is epic.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That video brings back sanity to the whole friggin stupidity of the gun realm. That guy deserves an award.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    WORSE!

It's a way for instructors to lure students to spend their money learning something "new".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmFR4x-iXNU

If you haven't seen this video.... you have to. It's friggin hilarious.
    That was hilarious. I love the Houdini shooting position.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    comment deleted
    Last edited by bleaman225; 04-22-11 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    oh man that's classic...I needed that stress relief on an early morning.
    my wife came in the room to see why I was laughing so hard!

that's good stuff.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast