Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: .204 Ruger....Let's start a discussion!

Feedback Score
    The lack of penetration would suck on people

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    These data are helpful, thanks. I can't verify your tested BCs nor am I questioning their validity, but either way in my example above it appears that I compared the best BC among 204 and 223 rounds and there is a negligible difference in wind drift .i.e., < 1 MOA at 500y.

Sure looks like apples to me.

Edit: When you factor drop AND wind drift, the .204 round is a compelling option.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Burns View Post
    Well I have not actually shot the 39gr Sierra but I find it hard to believe it has a real world G1 BC of 0.287 although the published velocity of 3700fps is most likely realistic.

The Hornady 40gr has a published BC of 0.275 and that is pretty far of the mark as the real world tested BC is 0.220. I suspect the Sierra falls into this category.

The 40gr Nosler BT in .204 has a much more realistic published BC of 0.239 which since it is based on form factor puts the real world BC around 0.220.

The .204 40gr bullet has a SD of 0.137 which means it compares to the 0.223 50 gr bullets. Give both of those bullets the same basic shape and the BC will be very equivalent.

Until I actually see the 39gr Sierra live up to the published number I am going to remain very skeptical. In fact I would be willing to bet a nice steak dinner in Cody WY that it will, in the real world, drift more in the wind than a good 75gr 5.56/.223 load.

It’s not that I think the 0.204 is a bad round, I just don’t think it offer any real world ballistic advantage over the 5.56/.223 in the AR platform.
    At any rate, I'll trade you a steak dinner in Cody for an Alaskan wild salmon dinner in Seattle
    Last edited by Warg; 07-15-11 at 22:30. Reason: Added comment re: drop

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I've no doubt that the heavier 5.56 rds will hit harder. Also, .308 rds will hit harder than 22-250. That being said, my 22-250 is always in the truck when I'm out on the ranch in Douglas and I'd damned sure pick a reliable .204 with good ammo over a 5.56 every time. I know that I shoot better with the .204.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This may be a bit premature, but here is the progress on the first 204. This is the gun I'm putting together for my uncle. I decided on a silver and black theme just for kicks.

There are some parts in there that I wouldn't necessarily pick, but they may be suitable for a varmint gun.

So far:
    Spikes lower
    A few chromed (satin finish) DPMS lower parts like takedown pin, pivot pin, mag catch/button. DPMS offers a chromed bolt catch, but I did not want to go there.
    G&R LPK for the others
    TD pistol grip
    Geissele SSA-E trigger
    Magpul PRS with glass bead blasted aluminum bits and cerakote (satin aluminum) on the steel screws. I brushed the lip of the buttplate for added contrast and to match the BC and barrel.
    DPMS Lo Pro upper
    JP 12" HG & cerakoted HG crews
    Young NM BCG staked via MOACKS
    Shilen barrel, fluted
    BCM GF CH Mod 3
    LaRue scope mount with cerakote on the screw heads
    Sadlak 0.936" GB

I'm going to sight it in with whatever optic I have lying around as my uncle already has a scope.

The darn thing is heavy at 10 lbs 3 oz! Here's a size comparison vs. a 16":

For the second build, I'm definitely going to have the other barrel reprofiled first, then dimpled or fluted. I'll start another thread on these with more details when they're finished and sorted out.
    Last edited by Warg; 08-07-11 at 21:40. Reason: Updated parts and weight data

Feedback Score
    pimpin....!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456