Thread: What weight of bonded 5.56 load for dedicated SBR?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

What weight of bonded 5.56 load for dedicated SBR?

I'm trying to figure out the trend on weight/construction to use on a dedicated suppressed SBR for use out of a vehicle, or inside buildings. The barrel is a 10.5", but I'm thinking about general trends for a good mix of intermediate barrier penetration and soft tissue performance assuming I'm running a 5.56 load that is limited by a short (sub-12") barrel, not limited by twist rate, and that I'm primarily concerned with performance at short distances.

Does the increased bullet speed of the lighter 50/55gr units (particularly among the Barnes TSX or similar) outweigh the performance of a heavier 70gr, especially when penetrating car doors or safety glass? Does this come with a requisite tradeoff against soft tissue?

I know how highly recommended the 50gr TSX are, as well as how highly reviewed something like a Mk262 clone can be in this application, and I know that the arrow won't matter as much as the indian here, but I am trying to figure out which way the trend points, instead of just splitting the middle and going with 62gr out of ignorance.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    As noted in paragraph 4, from an SBR I like all of the barrier blind loads listed here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881.

I'd be strongly tempted by the 5.56 mm BH 50 gr TSX; the 5.56 mm 55 gr Speer Gold Dot is a cost effective load that works OK if the other bonded loads prove too expensive.