Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 870 upgrades/refinishing

Feedback Score

870 upgrades/refinishing

I was wondering if anybody had experience with any professionally applied finishes on shotguns. The gun is parkerized now but it is a police trade in and has seen better days.

My other question is how durable is the epoxy that comes with Trijicon ghostring sights? Should I find someone to silver solder it on instead?

Thanks ,

Jeremy

Feedback Score
    I have installed dozens of those for clients who refuse to take my advise against GR's. The way you install it makes the difference. I have never had one come off. Here is how I do it.

I cut the bead off as it is pressed in. I place the sight over the base and trace it with a pencil. I remove it and then I take my dremil and remove the finish inside the trace lines. I then dremil off the finish from the bottom of the sight. I then simply mix the epoxy provided and install as directed. Once my old dremil was FUBAR so I simply used a small file to remove the finish.

The above install procedure assures you are bonding metal to metal and not finish to finish. I have found not need to pin the sight.

Do not install this until you decide on the refinish of the weapon as you don't want to put a tritium sight in a 200 degree tank of Park.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AI&P Tactical View Post
    I have installed dozens of those for clients who refuse to take my advise against GR's. The way you install it makes the difference. I have never had one come off. Here is how I do it.

I cut the bead off as it is pressed in. I place the sight over the base and trace it with a pencil. I remove it and then I take my dremil and remove the finish inside the trace lines. I then dremil off the finish from the bottom of the sight. I then simply mix the epoxy provided and install as directed. Once my old dremil was FUBAR so I simply used a small file to remove the finish.

The above install procedure assures you are bonding metal to metal and not finish to finish. I have found not need to pin the sight.

Do not install this until you decide on the refinish of the weapon as you don't want to put a tritium sight in a 200 degree tank of Park.
    I did this with a Set of Scattergun tech Ghost rings the front sight is epoxied on.(Did the same as above) But the rear i had to drill and tap the receiver ,It has been Bumped and drop and has not Come off.

I do have a pin and drill bit to pin the front sight, but i don't have a drill press to do that yet ,But I really think it would be ok.

I also replaced the Mag spring and used a Non binding High visible Follower . I would also think you should look into Alumn-hyde It comes in a rattle can and it is tough I, Used it to refinish a Uzi Kit and It work very good
    Last edited by warpigM-4; 04-24-11 at 11:20.

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    thanks for mentioning the rear sight as I assumed the OP was only refering to the front since that is the only one that epoxy's on, but you never know these days so it is deffinately worth mention.

Feedback Score
    Epoxy only for the front and drill the rear was the plan. Why the advice against ghost rings? How difficult is the rear sight install?

I already installed the scatterguns follower, and waiting on the remington mag extension.

I have an aimpoint r-1 that might make its way onto the gun since it is just sitting around.
    Last edited by Corse; 04-24-11 at 11:41.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    Epoxy only for the front and drill the rear was the plan. Why the advice against ghost rings? How difficult is the rear sight install?

I already installed the scatterguns follower, and waiting on the remington mag extension.

I have an aimpoint r-1 that might make its way onto the gun since it is just sitting around.
    the drilling and tapping was easy for me Just measure it and position the rear sight and make marks for the holes .put it in a holder and make sure it is level .I used a hand drill But if you have a Drill press that would be better ,the front hole was drilled all the way through But the rear hole does not, I measured the drill bit and marked the stopping point with tape ran the tap in and out about three good times and used a drop of loctite .Let me look I might have the instructions for the measurements for the rear

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    Here is where these blogs become a blessing and a curse. When one answers a question he can not assume the OP has the same skill level. So telling someone that drilling and tapping for sights and rails is easy may not be the best advice. I have FUBAR'ed both and I do this for a living.

If you have done this before then fine, however, the first time should not be on a $247 receiver. If you going to buy the tools you need consider it may be a one time use. Consider the possibility of a FUBAR and it may be wiser to take it to a Local Gun Smith.

If you intend to DIY then practice on a piece of bar stock several times till you have it right.

And yes, as posted, drilling and tapping these small holes is easy when one has done it before sucessfully but you will not be alone when working on this. Mr. Murphy is there to lend his wicked hand. Will you know how to remove a broken tap that is not even through the receiver yet and breaks off flush with the hole? Get that bit or tap broken off flush on that rear hole and it becomes an adventure. That is just one of the things Mr. Murphy like to add to the project. That tiny wire drill bit loves to walk and you end up with an off center hole and a sight that does not line up very well.

A special thanks goes out to Steve Rose of www.roseactionsports.com for repairing one of my GR install FUBARS. I knew how to do the repair but had never done it and did not have time to go get larger bits and taps or practice so I sent it to Steve. he over drilled the hole, tapped it for a bolt, cut the bolt off then drilled and tapped the bolt for the right size screw. Looked and worked great. I have since practiced this procedure and can do it.
    Last edited by AI&P Tactical; 04-24-11 at 12:18.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    very true what is easy for me Might not be for you .i have worked on weapons and FUBAR'ed a few .there use to be a Jig you could buy to do the rear sight, But I could not find one .I measured a hundred times and measured again took a deep breath and started drilling.If you have a Good smith and you feel you might not be able to do this .Go to them most will do a install for about 40 bucks or more.But will save you the cost of the receiver.if you are set On DIY then take your time go slow and make sure it is all lined up . and Like said Mr Murphy Is always standing behind you !!!
    Last edited by warpigM-4; 04-24-11 at 12:28.

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I may be old school, but I like the Remington factory rifle sights on an 18.5 inch IC barrel with the meprolite factory night sights and a simple parkerized oil finish...

Just my .02

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    I have an old school 1300, this shotty is going a different direction, more of the tacticool type.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast