Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 870 upgrades/refinishing

Feedback Score
    If you were recommending a good home defense/tactical training shotgun, what would be the "setup". What choke would be the best for buck and slug use?

Feedback Score
    I can not define the word "Good" as that is a subjective term. Any thing you get should be kept basic. Avoid Tacti-fool mess on it.

A guy who can say it better then me is Clint Smith. On my web site www.aiptactical.com there is a red link "Build your weapon" on that is a video of Clint talking about the HD shotgun. Watch that for the answer.

As for choke, I/C is the best all around choke. It gives you good groups with buck shot and will stablize a slug. Modified gives you tighter groups and is the best smooth bore choke, however, with these new tactical waddings it is really not needed. I have spoke with guys that even claim these new waddings make back boring and tighter chokes obsolete. So with this in mind go I/C.

The distances you might deploy this weapon in your home or even around your home are so close that choke is a non issue as at these close distances it will just not matter. I recommend I/C to my clients but for those that have property and out builds to check and may need tighter groups at longer distances I recommend Modified. I also recommend Modified for LEO Duty Weapons as many are in urban areas and they are responsible for every pellet from that weapon.
    Last edited by AI&P Tactical; 04-24-11 at 14:18.

Feedback Score
    AI&P--glad to see you on the board here!!

Feedback Score
    Thanks Mike - I will check this site out but my Keep it Basic approach to fighting shotguns may not be well receiver on an AR site as AR guys love to accessorize weapons. I can atleast give the correct input to issues with the Remington shotgun and try to stay out of the rest of it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AI&P Tactical View Post
    Thanks Mike - I will check this site out but my Keep it Basic approach to fighting shotguns may not be well receiver on an AR site as AR guys love to accessorize weapons. I can atleast give the correct input to issues with the Remington shotgun and try to stay out of the rest of it.
    Mr McGuire,
    I am taking your advice as far as I can--We were using FliteCtrl but that may be changing, unfortunately.....I sent funds for a mod bbl..if you can send it whenever possible..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AI&P Tactical View Post
    I really Think in the way you said! I keep it Basic,I did add the Scattergun Tech GR and a Side saddle on My 870 and that is it .

Basic stock Although I have been Looking at the Speedfeed Stock,what are your Input On those Stocks?

I like the Ideal of having the Pistol grip for more control .But I am a solid stock Guy never have owned a folding shotgun stock

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    The Speedfeed IV-S is an excellent combat stock. The reduced LOP a big plus. The pistol grip gives you three major advantages over a conventional stock. It makes point shooting much easier, it gives more surface area to help reduce felt recoil and it is far superior in weapon retention which this point alone makes it a must on a combat shotgun.

Feedback Score
    Got around to trying to remove the old wood WM buttstock for the IV-S set--That screw does not want to budge! I put some penetrating oil in there and I hope this doesn't have loc-tite installed, that it's frozen in there really good

Foreend was a piece of cake though.

Feedback Score
    I hope this is not offending as I am sure this is what you did but so others reading this will know. And, I had a guy on another forum putting the oil around the bolt head in the bolt well of the stock, which of course is a good 10 inches from the threads.

I am sure you stripped the receiver and put the penetrating oil in the receiver stud where the stock bolt screws in to the receiver. I break the weapon down and I stand the weapon up on the stock and put some break free in the receiver stud and let it sit awhile. Second is having the right size screw driver. It needs to be large enough to fill the slot of the screw. I have never had a stock bolt whip me yet, however, I have had some strip and have to replace the receiver stud also.

Before I attempt to install a stock I make sure the stock bolt threads are not damaged and I screw the bolt into the receiver stud buy hand which assures me the thread in the receiver stud are not stripped. When the bolt goes in easy and comes out easy I know I am going to have an easy install.

Another trick I like to share is when removing a recoil pad I spray some oil on the screw driver so it does not hang up in the holes of the recoil pad.

A Reminder to take the stock bearing plate out as it is not used for synthetic stocks.
    J.D. MGuire
    Remington LE Armorer
    www.aiptactical.com
    If you are going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.

Feedback Score
    I am doing just that! Thanks for the advice! Got it from your site..I have a large flat (not tapered) screwdriver and am taking this carefully..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast