Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Single Most Important Must Have Piece of Survival Gear

Feedback Score

The Single Most Important Must Have Piece of Survival Gear

Is a Plan.

Seriously... I can not tell you how many SAR cases I have been involved in, where we had next to zero information to start with, and how many times this directly resulted in a tragic outcome.

One of my SCUBA instructors used to say that the rule to not getting bent was to "Plan your dive, then dive your plan" - this holds true to many things... before you head out on a solo day hike or a 14 day group trip, make a trip plan and get it in the hands of at least two people you can trust.

The best bet is to contact the land/park management, search and rescue organization, or sheriff's department for the area that you are going to be in and ask them if they have a Trip Plan form. If that does not work, you can Google and find something pretty quickly... or do up your own, just make sure to follow some basic rules:

1. List information about each person going: Name, age, address, home phone number, experience and any medical/physical concerns.

2. Information about any vehicles or transportation you are taking (even if you are leaving them at the trailhead or pickup point): Type of vehicle or vessel, make, model, year, color, license or registration numbers.

3. List the time, date and location of where your trip will start from, and the time, date and location of where you intend to finish.

4. Detail the route you intend to take, list places you plan on staying overnight. Make a copy or take a picture of your map with your trip route on it, or scetch a strip map showing your planned route.

5. List the types of communication equipment you will have, numbers to cell phones and what kind of emergency signalling devices you will have - include whistles, mirrors, day panels, etc.

6. Make a quick list of the equipment and provisions you will have, include: Flashlight, Fire Starting, Additional Clothing, Drinking Water, Sleeping Bag, Cold Weather Gear, Food, Snacks, First-Aid Kits, Medicines, Map, Compass, Etc.

7. Any other notes or contingency plans, such as "If we get lost, we will walk SE to West Run River, then follow the river South to the bridge at Campbell Road"

Leave this plan with at least two responsible people, along with instructions as to when to consider you overdue, and the contact information for the emergency services in the area(s) that you will be in - also leave a copy in the glove compartment of your car.

This seems like a lot of work to some, but even a trip plan for a two week trip can be filled out in a few hours... and having a trip plan in place can literally be a life saver... also, a trip plan works both ways, it helps people get in touch with you, should something happen at home in your abesence. In any case, I truly hope that every trip you make is great and evey trip plan you fill out proves to be a waste of time.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    True this is. As been said 'people don't plan to fail, they fail to plan.'

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The same things apply to boating. I never cast off, be it the gulf or bay without ensuring that I had a "flat plan" and at least two people knew it. Then I never deviated from it.
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was reading a book by Cody Lundin recently. In addition to the solid advice above, he recommends placing a piece of aluminum foil on the carpet, and stepping on it with your boot. Leave it with the info above. If someone is looking for you in an in extremis situation, it would make it much easier for SAR to find you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss Hogg View Post
    I was reading a book by Cody Lundin recently. In addition to the solid advice above, he recommends placing a piece of aluminum foil on the carpet, and stepping on it with your boot. Leave it with the info above. If someone is looking for you in an in extremis situation, it would make it much easier for SAR to find you.
    I take it you are referring to 98.6 "The art of keeping your ass alive". It was a good read with some good fundamentals in it. I think the tin foil footprint is a damn good idea. I was taught by my father from a young age that you let at least 2 people know where you are headed. But it never ceases to amaze how many people think they can just go for a day hike and all will be well. In my life Mr. Murphy is always along for the ride, and tends to show up when least expected.

Feedback Score
    I had a guy comment about my original post on my facebook page... he has a novel approach to this: he uses his facebook page status for this; he posts a link to Google maps of where he is going, who is going, when they will be back and all of that.

Not a bad way to ensure that folks will know if you are overdue... providing of course that you have friends that would actually read your facebook page.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    So far that's one reason Facebook is actually helpful :P

Seriously, even if you aren't in need of rescue, the peace of mind to enjoy the hike or nature is worth it.

Feedback Score

facebook

I wouldn't recommend using Facebook - it's not nearly as private as it makes itself out to be. By posting your plans on FB, you're essentially letting the world know exactly when you'll be away from your home.

It's advisable to assume that anything entered into a computer or digital camera is public and permanent.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Feedback Score
    Many years ago, I found out just how important a plan could be.

As a teenager, I used to frequently go hiking alone, and with minimal gear, in the mountains behind my home town. I was never further than a few miles from home or civilization, but in those days, there were no cell phones or pagers, and I didn't carry a bulky CB when I just wanted to get out and get some fresh air.

I had hiked up to the top of the ridgeline behind town, where there is a sandstone outcropping sticking out of the hill that is a popular 'necking' spot for the local teens, as well as being a favorite camping/drinking spot. There is a path around to the top of the rocks, but for whatever dumb reason, I decided to free-climb the face instead. I got about 20' up and realized that this was very very stupid, as all the holds were crumbling. To make matters worse, I didn't see a way to get down without falling onto a rather nasty logfall. At that point, I realized that nobody knew I was up there, and if I didn't extricate myself, I was going to be in very bad shape. So I buckled down and managed to get to the top of the rock face despite losing a few handholds, and sat there contemplating what a retarded thing I'd done.

After that, I always made sure that someone knew where I was going, and when I was supposed to be back.
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast