Thread: Which AR-10...non defensive application

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Which AR-10...non defensive application

...tried the search but this is strictly for a hunting application. I have a friend / customer who has access to some prime Nilgai hunting and they are kinda taking over some of these areas along the texas coast just like the wild pigs.

He needs a gun to shoot on the run and is leaning to the AR-10. For a non primary defensive weapon & thinking of a truck gun, which one would you choose??

I told him the 308 the way to go?? These animals can reach 700lbs but you do not want too much recoil for follow up shots and it will be a truck gun and would like to keep the bbl under 20"

Accuracy is important for that first shot of course.

thanks!!!
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    He is looking at the Armalite, or 308 case sized AR's in general?

If sectional density is a concern, with penetration, he could always get a 338 Federal version of the DPMS LR338 or Armalite AR10(T).

The ballistics suffer quite a bit in a 16" bbl, but in a 22"-24" test barrel the 338Fed carries close to a 7mm Rem Mag.

The 308 with gamekings or barnes TSX should be plenty as these are still in the antelope family, and should have relatively thin skin/cross section to vitals.

I'd say an Armalite AR-10 with SS 16" barrel would be a beast for this application.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Armalite has the lightweight chrome barrels. I'd get that, pin on a light gas block and put a Troy TRX on it to float it. But that's me.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You could tell him to checkout the Larue Tactical PredatAR .308

It would make a very sweet hunting rig.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    He is looking at the Armalite, or 308 case sized AR's in general?

If sectional density is a concern, with penetration, he could always get a 338 Federal version of the DPMS LR338 or Armalite AR10(T).

The ballistics suffer quite a bit in a 16" bbl, but in a 22"-24" test barrel the 338Fed carries close to a 7mm Rem Mag.

The 308 with gamekings or barnes TSX should be plenty as these are still in the antelope family, and should have relatively thin skin/cross section to vitals.

I'd say an Armalite AR-10 with SS 16" barrel would be a beast for this application.
    Thanks...this helps.

I have to eat some crow on this one as the hunting conditions are WAY different than I 'assumed'...the poi starts at 250-300 if you are lucky & almost always on the move once seen. Trucks are not the main transportation either.

I already asked if there ae any small critters to shoot with 12.5sbr at 100-200 if I help find him the gun.

Turns out the gun he shot was a 308 rra but not sure of the model....he remembers discussing the 338 too.

gracias for all the replies...
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    308 should still be plenty in an autoloader, unless he is getting out to 500yds with a shot, which may not be best for hunting in general.

When we were gathering info for pronghorn antelope hunting in Wyoming, we got very similar stories about 200-400yd shots being the norm, and yet I've seen five shot under 200yds in two years.

The sixth should have been shot under 100yds as well, but I missed -- twice. In my defense, there were full+ value crosswinds to contend with.......AND I did end up killing him with my third shot from prone in the same wind quartering towards me @ 308yds. First shot was 98yds offhand, second was 180yds kneeling, and third was 308yds prone, semi-supported.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."