Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Bowflex

Feedback Score

Thoughts on Bowflex

Any thoughts or opinions on Bowflex. I've been looking for a bowflex on C's list and have found some good deals. Any advice?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have an older model I bought new and have actually used it, a lot. I purchased the extra 100lbs of powerbars; squat attachment; lat tower; and leg attachment. I regret my purchases though, at least I regret purchasing that stuff new. I would now be much happier if I had spent that money to buy the following instead, preferably used: commercial grade flat/incline/decline bench; a decent cage; Olympic bar; bunch of plates; dumbbells; and maybe a couple other things. It may depend on your goal(s). Others can probably explain better than I the pros and cons of using a system of increasing resistance like the Bowflex.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think they are a gimmick for people who want to feel like they are doing SOMETHING to get in shape.

The nature of the powerbars means that you are using the maximum resistance (the listed weight) at the most mechanically advantageous point in the movement. You don't develop strength through the whole range of motion.

And they are absurdly overpriced. The margin on these is massive.

Spend the money on a power rack and a few hundred pounds of weights instead.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer."
    — Frank Zappa

If the gun goes dry I use my knife. If the knife breaks off I use my teeth. I have only one rule - Start one job and see it through - The universe will have to offer someone else the leftovers. Multi tasking doesn't work in business or in gunfighting.
    - Michael de Bethencourt

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhs1969 View Post
    Any thoughts or opinions on Bowflex. I've been looking for a bowflex on C's list and have found some good deals. Any advice?
    I'd take a TRX trainer and or a flat bench and bar with assorted weights over a bowflex.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Will, could you comment on advantages and disadvantages of increasing resistance, like employed with the Bowflex models and similar machines?

Feedback Score
    One of the problems I'm up against is room and weight of plates. This system will go up on the third floor and I'm not sure what other options I may have. Any other ideas?

Just to expand a little bit, I'm not looking for max size/strength like I used to 15-20 years ago. Being in my early 40s I'm looking for a lower level of strength, more endurance and general better condition. Any thoughts or help on this mindset I'm all ears, so to speak.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I was gifted one of these from a lazy family member (yay).

Ive put on 15-20 pounds of muscle and lost 40+ pounds of fat in 16 months.

These are NOT extraordinary results BUT the machine works for me, i feel it working and i can push more weight than i could on my own without a spotter.

Ive also done all of this from the convenience of my own home.

I love the machine but i know for a fact i will not be using this thing for the rest of my life as eventually, any workout routine gets stale. Not to mention, i can bench press 320 pounds on this thing (yeah right with true weight) and that is the maximum poundage without buying more weight which means im going to outgrow this thing sooner rather than later.

Also, diet plays a huge part in all of this so...yeah, any quality strength training with a good diet will yield results.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've never been a fan of "universal gyms" but I've used and liked the bowflex. I was actually surprised. It's a nice option if you can't make it to the gym or don't have room for free weights.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Ive put on 15-20 pounds of muscle and lost 40+ pounds of fat in 16 months.
    If you have lost 40 pounds of fat AND gained 15 pounds of muscle concomitantly, then ANYTHING resistance related would have worked.

It's not the machine, it's the fact that you started working hard and watched your diet.

Gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time is reserved for beginners and people on drugs.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer."
    — Frank Zappa

If the gun goes dry I use my knife. If the knife breaks off I use my teeth. I have only one rule - Start one job and see it through - The universe will have to offer someone else the leftovers. Multi tasking doesn't work in business or in gunfighting.
    - Michael de Bethencourt

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dookie1481 View Post
    If you have lost 40 pounds of fat AND gained 15 pounds of muscle concomitantly, then ANYTHING resistance related would have worked.

It's not the machine, it's the fact that you started working hard and watched your diet.

Gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time is reserved for beginners and people on drugs.
    Sooooo... You read what you wanted to read and left out the rest....ie the details and the facts...very arfcom...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast