Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Fasting? (IF)

On the spreading edge of the butter knife
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dookie1481 View Post
    ... for not worrying about food all the time, for not having to haul around 6 tupperwares full of chicken, etc. Some people, like yourself, don't like to eat breakfast.
    This ^^ defines my interest.

cycling calories around workout days
    Can you describe this or point to a link? I cannot recall seeing this.

Thanks
    Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. -- Ernest Hemingway

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5cary View Post
    This ^^ defines my interest.

Can you describe this or point to a link? I cannot recall seeing this.

Thanks
    http://www.leangains.com/2008/06/sur...-fat-loss.html

5-6 paragraphs down.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer."
    — Frank Zappa

If the gun goes dry I use my knife. If the knife breaks off I use my teeth. I have only one rule - Start one job and see it through - The universe will have to offer someone else the leftovers. Multi tasking doesn't work in business or in gunfighting.
    - Michael de Bethencourt

Feedback Score
    People don't understand what IF is about. It's about insulin sensitivity for one, and NOT about calorie restriction. Intermittent fasting is also intermittent, it's not about starving oneself.

I have done it before, and I do it on occasion now. I like it. It's not a cure all, or magic, but I do enjoy it sometimes. It CAN also help trim some fat off while maintaining muscle if done carefully and correctly.
    Last edited by Hobbes; 04-27-11 at 13:18.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    People don't understand what IF is about. It's about insulin sensitivity for one, and NOT about calorie restriction. Intermittent fasting is also intermittent, it's not about starving oneself.

I have done it before, and I do it on occasion now. I like it. It's not a cure all, or magic, but I do enjoy it sometimes. It CAN also help trim some fat off while maintaining muscle if done carefully and correctly.
    Yeah, unfortunately people see the name and automatically assume it means restricting calories. The truth is, many people use IF as a bulking template and gain muscle.

This is why I said concepts should not be dismissed out of hand.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer."
    — Frank Zappa

If the gun goes dry I use my knife. If the knife breaks off I use my teeth. I have only one rule - Start one job and see it through - The universe will have to offer someone else the leftovers. Multi tasking doesn't work in business or in gunfighting.
    - Michael de Bethencourt

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWard View Post
    I'm a fitness and nutrition professional, 16 years running.

Fasting is probably the WORST thing you can do to your metabolism and lean muscle mass.

Combine all the elements of the top accepted dietary regimens out there, from the American Heart Association, Diabetes Association, Zone, Palio, Atkins, South Beach, etc, etc, etc... Find what 90% of them have 80% in common, and you'll find the truth.

This is a low simple/processed carbohydrate, modestly high protein, high fiber diet, with significant healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat intake, emphasizing real food, and lots of water, spread over 5-6 smaller meals per day.

Your body will function best here, and with a decent amount of exercise, and proper calorie intake, reach ITS genetic maximum/optimum body composition. For some people, this is single-digit fat levels and a 6-pack. For others, this is simply healthy and "teens" BF%.

Radical departures from this are generally unhealthy, but exceptionally lucrative if you're trying to sell a book... since desperate people will do anything for a quick fix, or to "prove conventional wisdom wrong". Conventional wisdom exists for a reason. Science.

A few VERY unique individuals have found UNIQUE results from unique diets, workouts, etc... But for 90% of the population, the formula is the same.

JeffWard

Finally,some pants on bottom, real advice. You should post more here, just to keep the durp down.

Feedback Score
    Again, intermittent fasting is a lot more than just not eating. You should look into it a little bit.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post
    Finally,some pants on bottom, real advice. You should post more here, just to keep the durp down.
    Care to explain your issues with IF instead of posting trite little quips?

Have you inquired enough to know what you're talking about?
    — Frank Zappa

- Michael de Bethencourt

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Care to explain your issues with IF instead of posting trite little quips?

Have you inquired enough to know what you're talking about?
    You mad brah? I certainly believe thou is mad.

I think its funny. All these fad diets seem to attract a certain type of "athlete" . Right now, its way to easy for my to lol at the crossfitter/paleo-zone/IF crowd, because they believe soo hard they have found "the way" and the rest of us are brainwashed by conventional wisdom and held in shackles by the food pyramid,forever doomed to a life of gluten and bench presses. My diet is very close to paleo and I do CF style shit soo it's easy to see where the people stop drinking water and wearing 5fingers, and start drinking koolaid and wearing air jordans.

All of these different camps will swear they are right, the other guy isnt, and here's some "facts" why. Yeah, everybody's bodies are different, and you can marshall a lot of disperate facts to support your camp, but dont get mad when those of us not waiting on the comet at least snicker in your general direction.

Feedback Score
    Nobody said its the only way. Only that there can be benefits for some, and its not the same as starving yourself.
    You still haven't come up with any real reasons why IF isn't a viable option, really you have only made it clear you like to snicker at people who do different things than you.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post
    You mad brah? I certainly believe thou is mad.

I think its funny. All these fad diets seem to attract a certain type of "athlete" . Right now, its way to easy for my to lol at the crossfitter/paleo-zone/IF crowd, because they believe soo hard they have found "the way" and the rest of us are brainwashed by conventional wisdom and held in shackles by the food pyramid,forever doomed to a life of gluten and bench presses. My diet is very close to paleo and I do CF style shit soo it's easy to see where the people stop drinking water and wearing 5fingers, and start drinking koolaid and wearing air jordans.

All of these different camps will swear they are right, the other guy isnt, and here's some "facts" why. Yeah, everybody's bodies are different, and you can marshall a lot of disperate facts to support your camp, but dont get mad when those of us not waiting on the comet at least snicker in your general direction.
    And who in the IF camp is saying it's the only way? Have you even read any of it? Or are you making dumbass assumptions?

I think it's the latter.

As stated, some people find it's easier to eat a few big meals later in the day than eat little meals every few hours. That's basically IF, cut and dried.

The thing is, I don't care what YOU do. I just don't want people asking for information to be shackled by the broscience 6 meal a day paradigm because the geocentric types can yell louder than than everyone else.
    — Frank Zappa

- Michael de Bethencourt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast