Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: minimalist light mount

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sonrider657 View Post
    Although I've only shot with it once so far, it took three consecutive 30 round mag dumps on full-auto (borrowed my buddy's Class 3 lower). The barrel was steaming but the plastic Elzetta mount held tight.

(With the price of .223 ammo, that was the most abusive test my budget could afford.)
    Wow, I wonder what kind of polymer it was to take the kind of heat that a gasblock would create after 90 rounds of full auto?
    I keep hearing about my gun rights, but I just can't seem to find them.

Feedback Score

Cool plastic material

Quote Originally Posted by shark31 View Post
    Wow, I wonder what kind of polymer it was to take the kind of heat that a gasblock would create after 90 rounds of full auto?
    The Elzetta FAQ page (http://www.elzetta.com/Webpages/faq.htm) says that it is made from "glass-filled nylon" (like many accessories) but judging by the swirly surface finish, I'd say that it has a higher fiberglass content than normal.

Also, there are little ribs on the inside of the two halves that contact the gas block and the barrel. These probably help to minimize the heat transfer to the plastic.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Midwest Industries

I put on one of these on my 6920 and it is aluminum and has held tight so far. Less than $35.

M_P

Feedback Score
    Lights on the bottom are a problem while trying to use any type of rest I.e., barricade, window, sand bags, Gear Bag, etc.

IMHO...best to place it on the FSB at the 3:00 or 9:00 position. 12:00 obviously won't work.

Tack

Feedback Score

cased storage

Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    Lights on the bottom are a problem while trying to use any type of rest I.e., barricade, window, sand bags, Gear Bag, etc.

IMHO...best to place it on the FSB at the 3:00 or 9:00 position. 12:00 obviously won't work.

Tack
    Good point but the problem with side-mount setups is that you have to remove them to store your rifle in its case (unless you have a custom case). For me that's too much hassle and I want my rifle to be ready for action at a moment's notice. The bad guys won't wait for you to assemble your gear.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Good point but the problem with side-mount setups is that you have to remove them to store your rifle in its case (unless you have a custom case). For me that's too much hassle and I want my rifle to be ready for action at a moment's notice. The bad guys won't wait for you to assemble your gear.
    I didn't get that memo.

Bob

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R Moran View Post
    I didn't get that memo.

Bob
    Me neither.

Feedback Score
    Good point but the problem with side-mount setups is that you have to remove them to store your rifle in its case (unless you have a custom case).
    Says WHO???

Feedback Score

at least not in MY case

OK, evidently some of you either have very slim side mounts or your rifle cases are much thicker than mine. I use the cheap plastic case that my DPMS came with and it is just thick enough to hold the rifle in its stock configuration. None of the side-mounted flashlight holders that I have seen would work with MY case. Sorry for the over-generalization.

Feedback Score
    I use the cheap plastic case that my DPMS
    Ummm..... never mind.

*goes to bed*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast