Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MREs - how old is too old? Mr. Wizard experiments

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    I just ate one I found in the bottom of one of my old duffel bags from 1991. Anyone remember Meatballs in Barbecue Sauce?

It was actually quite good. The retorts were not puffy or showing any sign of spoilage, and the flavor was as I remember it (this one was discontinued long ago, and it was my favorite back when I was a young troop).

T+1 hour, now, and no problems yet
    1991! You still OK? Here's a link on MRE shelf life for newer MRE's. http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/mre-shelf-life.html The oldest ones I've tried were were from 2001 and they were alright being 10 years old. They were stored in a cool basement. If stored in a trunk of a car during the summer? I'd be changing them out. Twenty year old MRE's, that takes brass!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Oh yes, canned peaches were tasty vittles!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I loved the dehydrated peaches, fruit mix, the hot dogs, spaghetti and meatballs. The chocolate covered bars but I love the oatmeal cookie bars. I remember when they introduced the flameless heaters and then the bread. being able to make a sandwich in the field was great.
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

cmon

I just had a Pork Chow Mein from the early 90's about 2 weeks ago. Delicious!
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    1991! You still OK? Here's a link on MRE shelf life for newer MRE's. http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/mre-shelf-life.html The oldest ones I've tried were were from 2001 and they were alright being 10 years old. They were stored in a cool basement. If stored in a trunk of a car during the summer? I'd be changing them out. Twenty year old MRE's, that takes brass!
    I'm still here, no ill effects so far other than a little heartburn, but as I said I used to get that off of this flavor when I was 17 - so I don't think it's the age (either of me or of the MRE).

Thinking back on it, I actually think I remember when I got this ****er, because I remember sticking it in the back of my locker to take home when I ETSd the first time.

It's a little spooky to think I ate lunch today that was made before the average E-2 of today was even a dirty thought in his daddy's head.

I'm feeling rather old now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HES View Post
    I loved the dehydrated peaches, fruit mix, the hot dogs, spaghetti and meatballs. The chocolate covered bars but I love the oatmeal cookie bars. I remember when they introduced the flameless heaters and then the bread. being able to make a sandwich in the field was great.
    Remember the Franks and Beans that was labeled "Not For Aviation Use"?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wasn't nearly everything in the late 80s and early 90s marked "not for aviation use" or "not for pre flight use"? Oh does anyone remember the beef patty? Damned things smelled like Alpo.
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    Remember the Franks and Beans that was labeled "Not For Aviation Use"?
    Oh no, not the 4 fingers of death!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel View Post
    Oh no, not the 4 fingers of death!
    THAT's the one!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    Who knows what sort of preservatives they put in those things? They may last longer than Twinkees.
    Be careful with Twinkees!!

My brother opened an old pack once and bit half of it and then noticed the half in his hand was full of maggots and he spit the half out of his mouth. I couldn't stop laughing. Cruel I know, but you had to be there.

Luke
    Last edited by LSCurrier; 04-26-11 at 23:19.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast