Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ranger +P+ 9mm a question

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I'm sure this depends on unit practices, etc. But the famed durability of the P226 isn't what some may think it is. I've been through some schools with certain units and have seen first hand parts, including slides being replaced every 3-5k on them. This applied to the stamped ones, not the solid ones that have been about for a while.
    If they were training with 9mm NATO, I can see how they were getting premature parts breakages. Most contract stuff runs around 32k psi and +P velocities(around 1250fps), depending on the country and year of manufacture. IMI stuff usually runs up to 36k psi and will throw a 124gr bullet almost 1350fps from a M9. That's +P+ pressures and velocity. We switched to only standard pressure 147gr eight years ago and haven't had any problems with our stamped slide Sigs meeting the 5k round service interval. The newer machined slides should in theory be better, but due to Sig's poor quality controls as of late I'd opt for a old stamped slide Sig any day.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KhanRad View Post
    If they were training with 9mm NATO, I can see how they were getting premature parts breakages. Most contract stuff runs around 32k psi and +P velocities(around 1250fps), depending on the country and year of manufacture. IMI stuff usually runs up to 36k psi and will throw a 124gr bullet almost 1350fps from a M9. That's +P+ pressures and velocity. We switched to only standard pressure 147gr eight years ago and haven't had any problems with our stamped slide Sigs meeting the 5k round service interval. The newer machined slides should in theory be better, but due to Sig's poor quality controls as of late I'd opt for a old stamped slide Sig any day.
    The Gen4 Glock 19 has a problem with the cheaper WalMart 9mm, but tames P+P loads very well, reduces the felt recoil.

Plus the new recivers are great. All the improvements we have asked for for years! Right there. TruGlow sights, the last improvement required. I know good shooters, issued Sig 226s, do well, and master the first round abomination, then to single action, for the second shot, but it is still silly.

The manipulation of the trigger is the most crucial of all shooting skills! Go to the boring exercise, that all Cops HATE! Shooting dots at 7 yds!

Add a crappy trigger to the mix? Not good. A 2" dot at 5m, the across the kitchen shot into an eye socket, to me, a crucial skill. Domestics anyone?

And with your service pistol, and issue ammunition.
    Last edited by Scouse; 05-01-11 at 16:20.

Feedback Score
    Whatever ammo you choose, make sure to try out a couple of boxes in your personal weapon of choice. I tried the +P+ and the 147 gr Winchesters in my Glock 19 and 26. I didn't have any failures with either ammo, but the +P+ ejected brass either over my head, or back into my face. Since I don't plan to always have eye pro on when I carry, I chose the 147gr. Just one more thing to consider when choosing ammo.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Do either of these rounds (127gr. +P+ vs. 147gr.) out perform the other against automobiles, deflection on bone or penetration in flesh?

Feedback Score
    The 147 gr is generally a bit better.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the follow up.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul45 View Post
    Thanks for the follow up.
    Both are blank - I think they may be restricted for LE.

Thanks for trying
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The 147 gr is generally a bit better.
    Excellent. Which 147 gr. do you prefer?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KCabbage View Post
    Excellent. Which 147 gr. do you prefer?
    Heavier bullets are also better against internal bone structure since they retain more momentum. I remember an old post by Dr. Roberts talking about an FBI test against a human femur incased in ballistic gel. The heavier 9mm load did better than the lighter one, and the .45acp went clean through. The Canadians did a similar study in the mid 1990s and came to similar conclusions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast