Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trying to quiet down my 6.8

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    What have you shot deer with previously that you found tolerable without hearing protection?

On that DPMS flash hider, I have one, not with me as I am at work, but if you get one make sure the hole in the end is at least .277. PM me and I will measure mine.
    Thats what I wanna know...

Man, I'd have a hard time thinking that shooting any centerfire cartridge w/o protection is a good idea. My brother and I use these when out hunting in Alaska. Very lightweight, easy to use, and IMO, if its not brown with sharp teeth and claws and hell bent on giving you a taste test, then you can find the 3 extra seconds to protect your hearing.

ITS JUST NOT WORTH IT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use these too but not so much for shooting but if I did hunt I would use them.

The DPMS flash hider i.d. is .277. Who'd of thunk it? There is plenty of room to drill it out, I would think about .300 or maybe a little less. Piece of cake in a lathe but maybe not with a drill motor. The standard 'ol 118 degree split point drill bit is bad for grabbing under such circumstances.

Feedback Score
    You will get serious hearing damage from any rifle.
    Period.

Get a set of these:
    http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

Feedback Score
    As JasonAAC notes, ALL unsuppressed supersonic centerfire rifle calibers are going to cause hearing damage to unprotected ears, irrespective of barrel length or muzzle device. Period.

Within the Miasma of the corruption of Chicago.
    Feedback Score
    +1 on the Sonic Defenders. I have a pair and I find them quite effective and comfortable to wear for extended periods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonAAC View Post
    You will get serious hearing damage from any rifle....
    Some are worse than others and some are really, really bad. After your hearing is shot you won't get it back and you will be sorry.

Feedback Score
    Some rifles are worse than others, but ear protection is a must for ANY. (as stated by others).

I have notice that muzzle brakes tend to amp up the noise (even with protection). The standard A2 flash hiding seems ok, or just take the thing off and do a normal crowned barrel.

My family laughs at me for wearing hearing protection while hunting. But then again, they can't hear me over the sound of how awesome I am. Or they went deaf.

I Double up indoors (plugs+muffs) except for ranges with better baffles. For competetion I go muffs only, but that's because there usually isn't a .357 or 44mag around (well except me) and the place I shoot has good sound baffles.

Take care of yourself.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Once when I was young and dumb, I let loose a .303 British without any sort of protection. I only did it once but the whole side of my head rang. Combine that with scarring from repeated ear infections as a kid and too many rock concerts in college and I have some hearing loss as well as tinnitus that's noticeable when things get really quiet.

I hate to say it, but if your muffs are falling off from normal use, you probably need to get some nicer ones. The higher end ones from Sordin are waterproof, low profile so they don't mess up your cheek weld, and if you crank up the amplification you can hear a squirrel fart while remaining protected against gunfire.
    I have far more guns than I realistically need, but far less than I want. - NongShim

Feedback Score

6.8 noise

The hearing muffs I have are Sordins, people, I know enough not to shoot a firearm without hearing protection, I just thought their might be some type of brake or flash hider that would help this loud beast that I was not aware of, anyway thanks for all of the imput.
    kenner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12