Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a little advice or at least a point in the right direction

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    You seem to have a good understanding for what it takes to hone in the accuracy....it does seem your muscling the gun on target or as your say forcing a bad shot.

You should drastically start to see improvements since your starting to shooting prone. Technique is critical when evaluating accuracy. I try to take as much of myself outta the equation as possible..which is usually done through technique.

Keep up the good work!
    Thanks, I am starting to understand what I am doing during the entire process so now I can differentiate what I am doing wrong vs what I am doing right.

Right now I am just happy to know where I stand.

I plan to keep shooting the same ammo for a little while longer as a means to keep everything else constant so I can properly gauge my progress.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Good work. Another thing I would do would be to get a smaller target with a more precise center. Maybe an orange sticky dot to put in the middle of the black. That way you can be more consistant on your aiming point.

Good shooting though.
    Thanks.

Now that I am understanding my errors, I do plan on going back to smaller targets while I work on them.

Feedback Score
    It sounds like you have a good grasp on what it takes to shoot well, the hard part is is actually doing it. You went out and got a rifle and ammo that pretty much eliminates the mechanical issues associated with accuracy, so what you're left with is the human factor. When you had a rifle that grouped 2.5" with non match ammo, you couldn't really tell where the flier came from. Was it you, or the machine? With the rifle and match grade ammo you're using, it's all you. Here's my advice:

Find a target that makes it easy for you to hold the cross hairs on the same place, every time.

Don't worry where the rounds group. Shoot at the same spot, every time.

Don't chase the last shot. I've made this mistake in high power rifle, and it only ends badly.

That .725 MOA group represents the mechanical ability of your rifle and ammo. That should be your bench mark group. Any time you shoot a larger group, you should be asking yourself 'what did I do wrong?'

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What is "chasing the shot"?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Sgt_Gold,

Thanks.

MistWolf,

Just that, literally chasing a shot or the point of impact.

IE: I am aiming dead center of the target but the first shot hits slightly top right, so rather than aim dead center for second shot I try to compensate my aiming slight top right.

Guess i've done it in attempts to get tighter groups or save groups although it has a tendency to work opposite.

Sgt_Gold is correct as I should have been aiming for the same spot every time.

Feedback Score
    I'm right there with you on this path. As others have said, getting off the bench and shooting prone was key for me, as was getting back to the fundamentals- natural point of aim (close eyes, wiggle, open eyes and check scope), and really focusing in a consistent cheek weld, both front/back but especially the tilt of my head. Don't accept scope shaddow. A nice light trigger can make me lazy, so keep focused on not snatching the break.

Don't be afraid of lighter-weight ammo at 100 yards. My 1/7 WOA SPR barrel loves 55gr Federal Premium.

The only little gear thing that might help is a pd-loc, which allows you to lock down the cant on your bipod. I love mine.

Feedback Score
    Thanks.

That was my first time shooting prone, I plan to confirm everything next time out (such as position, etc... while trying to iron my skills out) and hopefully improve some more.

the lightest i've tried is 60gr but I plan to try some of that Hornady Superformance which is lighter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12