Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: ACOG as a SHTF optic?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does anyone have any experience shooting offset optics from difficult shooting positions like 'crazy wall', bent over prone shooting under a car, or 'curb prone'?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post
    Does anyone have any experience shooting offset optics from difficult shooting positions like 'crazy wall', bent over prone shooting under a car, or 'curb prone'?
    Yes in 3-gun. Sometimes the offset RDS presents a challenge for unconventional positions but practicing at those positions certainly helps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like the fact that Acogs never have batteries to lose

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post
    Yes. A few of the reasons I prefer a low powered variable.
    Same with support side shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanschmidt65 View Post
    I like the fact that Acogs never have batteries to lose
    And I like the fact that decent variables have a reticle that can be used without illumination and when illum is used it can be easily adjusted to the necessary level.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Unconventional, "real world" (regardless of whether your world is fighting or competing) applications are always the true test of any setup. We ran a stage last year that put a wall with a gap low enough that you could NOT shoot under it with the gun held vertically, and then we put a 90* wall to that such that you couldn't easily prone out the way you'd want to. Showed a lot of holes in a lot of setups but also in a lot of techniques.

In that application if you wanted to use your offset RDS you would have likely been screwed.

Unfortunately on the competition side most match directors and course designers work to their own strengths and gear, so if you have a guy with an offset RDS he's unlikely to design a stage that challenges that setup.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks guys. That is pretty much what I thought. Offset RDS seem great as long as you have the luxury of staying on your feet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    In that application if you wanted to use your offset RDS you would have likely been screwed.
    I wouldn’t exactly say screwed, my ACOG has back up irons. And anyone running a light other than at 12:00 could encounter a similar situation. They better instinctively drop to the side the light is not on or the added dimension and bulk of the light and mount could prevent aiming through this small gap you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Same with support side shooting.
    Transitioning to the weak side and using your non-dominant eye (both eyes open) is fairly easy using a RDS with just a little practice.

Bottom line is this thread was inquiring about a shtf weapon. NOt a home defense weapon. We all agree that is a subjective term. To me it means you have 1 primary weapon, a “do-all” weapon as is much as is possible. Long shots to ID as best as possible with a 4x (or better), protect the perimeter (could be the perimeter of a large property or ranch), reconnaissance, CQB. That’s why I like my offset RDS set-up. It’s as close to general purpose, do-all weapon as I can think of. That is what a shtf weapon means to me. Its not perfect. I think we established that there is no perfect set-up early on. Everything is a compromise. To me we haven’t experienced a shtf situation, yet.

ETA: Think TEOTWAWKI, total economic collapse, EMP, Civil War, massive country wide civil unrest, general breakdown of society, major terrorist attack (dirty bombs, several cities nuked) most police leave their post to go home and protect their familes etc. That to me is shtf. Again I understand shtf it is subjective to each of us.
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 06-08-11 at 18:06.

Feedback Score
    total end of the world, no lights, no gas, no running water, no food, mob violence, crazies running the streets raping, burning, and pillaging etc. a few good friends, a good AK or 3 a few thousand rounds hopefully an Aimpoint in a good mount on the AK and some extra batteries would last about as long as I would last.
    Last edited by jimmyp; 06-08-11 at 17:43.
    "Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." Ronald Regan

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just a Jarhead View Post
    Transitioning to the weak side and using your non-dominant eye (both eyes open) is fairly easy using a RDS with just a little practice.
    I have done it. I first started playing with offset MRDs about 4 years ago. It is plausible, I'm not arguing that (just as piggybacked MRDs are viable, just not optimal), but support side shooting with a canted MRD has issues with LOS/boreline/trajectory that hampers precision unless you roll the gun to orient the MRD as is done with the strong side.

Really, in my opinion, sticking an MRD to a gun with a 4x or less primary optic is a sign that the illmination is lacking. Magnification is not the issue with ACOGs, the sorry ass reticle lighting is. I have shot "CQB" distance just as fast as with an EoTech (as well as other shooters). That doesn't make the Cog a CQB optic, just an illustration that low magnification is still workable without having to resort to another optic. If using two optics, I would rather get th most out of what I am carrying. Most 2.5-10x optics have reticles that are suited for long-range precision, and have severe issues at ranges closer than 50m in dynamic employment, and therefore greatly benefit from an offset MRD. Once again, my opinion on my experience based on my use. If you are happy with your setup, good, as long as it is based on personal experience and testing. I have several good friends that use an ACOG/MRD combination to good effect, but I also have good friends that use a 10x/MRD to excellent effect (at the expense of higher weight and reduced primary optic durability).

Everything is a compromise.
    Exactly.
    It all depends on what and how you compromise.
    What some units issue, or issue to fix issues with other issued gear, is irrelevant if it doesn't meet the needs of the individual that is free to make their own decisions, just like our opinions.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Agree with F2S. The ACOG/RDS system has too much overlap in function and not enough top-end. Much rather have the 3x compact and train to deal with shortcomings. If I was to use an offset RDS I'd want a lot more top end out of the magnified optic, something like 8x+.

If we're defining shtf as total societal meltdown I'll take my 3x compact ACOG as it's light, I'm very familiar with it, and it can be made to work for me in a wide range of potential situations all without batteries.

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast