Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ACOG as a SHTF optic?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I too will have to say that the TA33 with the Green Horse Shoe would be the way to go. I have a TA33HG on my MK18 here in the Stan and have a TA24 back in the states. Both are good optics. If you are looking for a good SHTF optic go with the TA33. It is much more durable and it is a good all around optic.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elchupanibre View Post
    Thanks Jarhead, do you have any pictures by any chance? There are just too many options. I feel like if i get something, I will discover unknown flaws and will be looking for something else shortly. Aimpoint with a magnifier sounds good also, but the weight must be noticable. I feel like if you run two components you have double the chance of failure, which realistically is only 50% of failure, unles the second component is a magnifier. Tr24 might be the best of both worlds. I am pretty unfamiliar with AR optics, when I was in the service we were still using irons only. Where I work now, I do not carry a rifle on patrol, and those who are, are not allowed to put any optics on it... . No way to shoot different types and compare.
    You are over-thinking this. Pick something, and go use it. There is no free lunch. The TA33 takes training to use close in and has some issues with low-light situations. The Accupoint is heavy and requires you to manually adjust power as needed. The Aimpoint lacks magnification or gets heavy (and expensive) when you add magnification. The dual optic setup is heavy, complicated, and expensive, and requires a different sort of training to use effectively.

The list goes on and on, but there ain't no free lunch.

Get something, and get use of it in circumstances as close to your intended application. If you're planning for home defense, go get some CQB and low-light training and shoot some CQB matches (speed, target ID and target acquisition are the keys here). If you're preparing for a wilderness survival situation, go get some longer range training and shoot some longer range matches (unconventional positions and improvised rests are critical here). If you want to be a "sniper" then go get some long-range precision training.

I knew a guy that thought his TA31F-RMR was big-king-dingaling. He shot the hell out of his gun with that thing. From the bench. Got to a class, found out how bad it sucked. Or he sucked with it. But the end result was the same.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Also no need for any type of additional red dot; Dr Optic, JPoint, RMR, or whatever, with the TA33. You can use it with both eyes open. It works just fine, I know because I have done it on several occasions in room clearings.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I know I'm WAY overthinking it. I will check TA33, hopefully find one locally and check it out.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Also no need for any type of additional red dot; Dr Optic, JPoint, RMR, or whatever, with the TA33. You can use it with both eyes open. It works just fine, I know because I have done it on several occasions in room clearings.
    I agree. No room clearings here but I've done low-light classes with it, and all of our matches are low-light at some point as they go from 19:00 to 22:00, and we've even done some lights-out work with it. From what I can tell the green donut would work better than my red chevron in these situations though, although the lens cap trick is working great for me.

I actually shot a stage like this, a CQB room-clearing stage, a couple of months ago but didn't get video like I intended. At the end I flipped up the cap and closed my left eye to take a high percentage head shot on a target with a "hostage" in front of it. Worked great.

Here's the setup I was using.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    You can never over think your optic choice. It is a very important part of the weapons system. I would look at ordering one from Botach Tactical. Their CS suckes like a $2 whore but their prices are very good.

http://www.botachtactical.com/tractari33.html

Rob s- Do not freak out….yes I am agreeing with you.
    Last edited by docsherm; 05-02-11 at 09:04.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Docsherm, why the green horseshoe? Easiest to pick ip in low light?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elchupanibre View Post
    Docsherm, why the green horseshoe? Easiest to pick ip in low light?
    This topic has been discussed at length here many times. Do a "Search" for your various questions and you will find a wealth of information available.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I know this may be unpopular, but I'm pretty happy with my Elcan 1-4's

Edit: full disclosure, aimpoint or eotech beats the snot out of it at 1x, but even with the crummy eye relief at that setting I still feel it's a more well thought out product than most of the other 1-4's I see out there or a fixed power.
    Last edited by KAC Lover; 05-02-11 at 09:36.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks, i have. I researched different reticles until my eyes started bleeding. Iwanted to know why he thinks green horseshoe is better than a red chevron, i was actually goingnto go with a red chevron.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast