Thread: Thoughts.. Ruger SR9C vs ar pistol?

Feedback Score

Thoughts.. Ruger SR9C vs ar pistol?

I have the a lot of spare parts laying around which would make it cheaper to build an ar pistol right now. I'd like to hear from those of you who own a ruger SR9c AND an ar pistol and what the practicalities of each are. The sr9c would be my carry pistol, but an ar pistol in 5.56 would be a bit more versatile especially living in a city. While I'd carry a pocket pistol every day, I trust the ar platform a bit more. I just want some thoughts to stew on so please, enlighten me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you aren't going to EDC an AR pistol... unless you already have something else, take care of your EDC needs first .

That said, what interested you in the SR9c? I'm asking because that's my carry gun, but at some point I might move to something else. It's a reliable gun and I shoot it well, but there's really no way to get a "nice" trigger in it that I am aware of. I've got a Ghost Rocket and polished trigger components in mine which cleaned up the trigger action, but it still lacks (showing off my lack of gunsmithing knowledge here) what I think is a real positive sear engagement. What I mean is, it is hard to really "prep" the trigger and know that the next fraction of an inch, it is going to fire. After firing an instructor's M&P9 with the Apex sear in it, I realized what my pistol lacks in the trigger department. I also have a couple of issues with pins walking out - not a big deal, but an annoyance just the same. I know you were really asking about the pistol AR, but I thought I'd give you some feedback on the sr9c in case it might be useful to you.

OTOH, a 9mm pistol round isn't going to zip through anyone's level 3 armor, either :-)
    Last edited by HuttoAg96; 05-02-11 at 23:33.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by topsykretts View Post
    I have the a lot of spare parts laying around which would make it cheaper to build an ar pistol right now. I'd like to hear from those of you who own a ruger SR9c AND an ar pistol and what the practicalities of each are. The sr9c would be my carry pistol, but an ar pistol in 5.56 would be a bit more versatile especially living in a city. While I'd carry a pocket pistol every day, I trust the ar platform a bit more. I just want some thoughts to stew on so please, enlighten me.
    Not a big fan of either. These fit such totally different roles I think you need to prioritize your needs first, that should help your decision.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    Not a big fan of either. These fit such totally different roles I think you need to prioritize your needs first, that should help your decision.
    Decided to go with the AR pistol. So far its a CMMG lower, planning on 7.5" barrel w/ spectre length handguard completely covering barrel and most of flash hider (probably KX3 or something similar with flash hiding capability, any suggestions?)

Not sure what to do with the buffer tube yet.. either one of the short ones I've seen or a carbine length wrapped in paracord. Ideally I'd try both and see what the difference is for accuracy and control of the weapon but I don't have the $'s for that.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Apples and oranges. One is a handgun, the other a range toy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    Apples and oranges. One is a handgun, the other a range toy.
    Both will kill you dead, particularly the AR pistol if you're wearing soft armor, and one can be readily concealed and offer rifle-esque performance outside of the range a handgun can typically be employed. A handgun might be a lot quicker to get to, but this is going to be my just-in-case gun that'll be in my backpack ready to go if I have the opportunity to get to it and fit the upper to the lower.
    Last edited by topsykretts; 05-18-11 at 13:15.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Why does this website even have a forum dedicated to an AR pistol?
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    I walk around with a G27 everywhere I go with a few exceptions where it isn't allowed. I can't imagine carrying an AR pistol in a pack while going about my daily routines. And in a SHTF situation I'll reach for my full AR Carbine.
    Last edited by ssracer; 05-18-11 at 16:01.

Feedback Score
    SOund like a good project for ya. The ar pistol would be great for atv rips and camping where a full carbine isnt practical

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Which is better, an apple or a defibrillator?