Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of an FN SPR A5 M in .300 WSM

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)

Talk me out of an FN SPR A5 M in .300 WSM

I'm getting into the long range side of shooting and I'm looking for a general purpose long range rifle. I want something that I can use at the range and that could carry me into a little light competition. I'm looking pretty hard at an FN SPR but I have a few reservations about the details. Here's a list of things I'm pondering and I hope some of you more knowledgeable folks will be able to help me out.

Does FN really have a lifetime warranty on the SPRs? Does that include barrels, even 300 WSM?

I'm planning on getting something with a detachable box magazine. It looks like FN has a double stack 10 rounder which is ideal. However what's the max cartridge length that it can accommodate? Would a round like the 300 WSM be hamstrung by having it's max length cut down?

Anyone heard of any plans at FN to offer a .260 Rem SPR?

Thanks,
    Mark

edit. How realistic would it be to get a 308 Rifle and have a .260 Rem barrel made for it that would allow me to switch between them in my own shop?
    Last edited by mkmckinley; 05-04-11 at 00:09.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sorry I don't know a lot about the FN SPR series, although I hear good things about their accuracy.

A couple of comments in general:
    * FN uses proprietary mags, last I heard. Their mags work ok and are reliable enough, but if you want a DBM rifle that uses standards mags such as AI, the FN would not be it.

* If you want a rifle platform on which you can easily switch barrels, you should also consider the Savage 10 tactical series. With their barrel nut design, it makes it fairly easy for anybody to change barrels and calibers. The Savages are well known for this aspect of their design, which makes them flexible.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The mags suck out loud. You can't top them off and they're expensive and rare.

FN will support the rifle.

You'd be better served going with something else like a 700 or a Savage if you want to change calibers.

All of that being said, SPRs are good rifles. I had one in .308

Feedback Score
    I can't be pried away from rem700 and its clones. Specifically the surgeon actions.

... however... this is noteworthy:
    http://www.shootingwire.com/story/235658
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    I can't be pried away from rem700 and its clones. Specifically the surgeon actions.

... however... this is noteworthy:
    http://www.shootingwire.com/story/235658
    Good article, thanks for sharing.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Ditto on the mag issues. While I've never owned an FNH rifle the FNHs I've seen at the Dude's brother's shooting school (LRI) had a lot of mag problems.

They're perfectly adequate/accurate guns otherwise.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 05-04-11 at 12:47.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    That right there is why I can't be pried from my 700's and clones. The AI mags are flawless. I've not had a single malfunction in thousands of rounds that wasn't caused by something stupid I did. ... and even then I can only think of 2 or 3 malfunctions covering maybe 10,000rnds. They are amazing.

The smart thing for other manufacturers to do would be to license the AI design.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have that rifle with a diffrent stock. CDI makes a mag system for the rifle that takes AI mags. I have rem 700s as well but the SPR is built like a tank and rem QC can be very spoty at times to say the least. You will not be disapointed with the FN at all.

Feedback Score
    Isn't the FN basically a winchester m70 clone?

Aftermarket stock with a bottom metal that accepts AI mags would certainly be the ticket.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bought an FN SPR A1a about 8-9 years ago. It has been, by far, the best bolt rifle I've ever shot, let alone owned. That's not saying a lot as I've only shot 10-11 different bolt rifles over the years, but I love mine.
    .308 20"

The magazines were hard to find for a long time, but now I've seen them on shelves for around $30 or so. Reminds me, I need to pick up a few.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast