Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of an FN SPR A5 M in .300 WSM

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    I have rem 700s as well but the SPR is built like a tank and rem QC can be very spoty at times to say the least.
    Can you elucidate a bit more? I'm aware of the trigger group problems that were fixed by the X-Mark Pro trigger, but I'm unaware of other QC issues.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My brother has an early SPR, probably from 2001 or so. they are incredibly accurate/consistent. I like the M70 action and safety. the mags suck, however. If you can find a work-around for it, I wouldn't hesitate to run one.

I think it shot better than my GAP.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    My cousin has one and I like it alot, no issues with it and it's accurate.

I've heard from a lot people that Remingtons have been made like crap for years and to buy used.
    Last edited by graffex; 05-04-11 at 21:54.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by graffex View Post
    I've heard from a lot people that Remingtons have been made like crap for years and to buy used.
    Heard from people? Since when was that an accepted metric on this board?

Who exactly? What is their background? What were the circumstances? What is your first-hand knowledge of what occurred?

There may be issues involved and those should be explored, but citing unknown issues from unknown "people" is pointless, especially when the 700 remains the de facto standard of modern bolt action rifles.

If you have first-hand knowledge, I'd be interested in hearing them.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 05-04-11 at 21:59.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    Heard from people? Since when was that an accepted metric on this board?

Who exactly? What is their background? What were the circumstances? What is your first-hand knowledge of what occurred?

There may be issues involved and those should be explored, but citing unknown issues from unknown "people" is pointless.
    I don't know, the point is I've heard it said and was curious myself what the issues are. I know of people complaining that they where sloppily put together, such as bolt handles coming off from recoil, which would go with the spotty CQ the other guy was talking about. I'm perfectly happy with mine and others that I've handled.
    Last edited by graffex; 05-04-11 at 22:03.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Thanks for the responses guys. I spent some time on the phone today with a CS rep at FN today. I was truly impressed with his knowledge of the firearm and his willingness to talk about the strengths and weaknesses of the SPR series. They basically build a "pre '64" style M70 action and then true it before finishing it. The CHF barrels are apparently polished/lapped before the hammer forging and then gaged and checked for straightness before being chrome lined. I guess they have an A3G barrel that went 22,000 rounds before needing to be changed. I know I know, from the horses mouth, but if the time I spent on the phone today is any indication of their customer service in general I think FN is doing it right.

It sounds like the way to go might be to get an SPR without the DBM and go with CDI bottom metal/AICS mags down the line. I've thought long and hard about having a custom Rem 700 built but I'm not in love with the platform and the cost is hard for me to justify when there are cheaper, good quality production rifles with a manufacturer's warranty. The only trup card is that I really want to try out .260 Rem. I've been shooting 7.62x51 in the wind long enough to know its shortcomings.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    Can you elucidate a bit more? I'm aware of the trigger group problems that were fixed by the X-Mark Pro trigger, but I'm unaware of other QC issues.
    Sure I have a few rifles built on rem 700 actions. Biggest issue I have seen on the guns I have had built on were bolt lugs that were out of spec so far that only one lug was contacting the reciver. Or chambers that are cut short and bolts braking off. My buddy had the bolt come off his sendero last year. Rem did replace it after some phone time.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. I spent some time on the phone today with a CS rep at FN today. I was truly impressed with his knowledge of the firearm and his willingness to talk about the strengths and weaknesses of the SPR series. They basically build a "pre '64" style M70 action and then true it before finishing it. The CHF barrels are apparently polished/lapped before the hammer forging and then gaged and checked for straightness before being chrome lined. I guess they have an A3G barrel that went 22,000 rounds before needing to be changed. I know I know, from the horses mouth, but if the time I spent on the phone today is any indication of their customer service in general I think FN is doing it right.

It sounds like the way to go might be to get an SPR without the DBM and go with CDI bottom metal/AICS mags down the line. I've thought long and hard about having a custom Rem 700 built but I'm not in love with the platform and the cost is hard for me to justify when there are cheaper, good quality production rifles with a manufacturer's warranty. The only trup card is that I really want to try out .260 Rem. I've been shooting 7.62x51 in the wind long enough to know its shortcomings.
    I had two customs built in 260rem on rem 700 actions. The round is great to say the least and with the right hand load its easy to get 2950fps from a 140g bullet.

Only issue I can think of with building the 260 on the FN is mag length when shooting VLD bullets. I had Wayats extended mag boxes on both the rems and I dont think wayats offers one for the SA winchester.

If its just a target gun I would shoot 140g AMAX or 142g SMK and the COAL will not be an issue for you as the AMAX is not that seating depth sensitive and the VLD is.

Jon
    Last edited by ICANHITHIMMAN; 05-05-11 at 09:42.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Sure I have a few rifles built on rem 700 actions. Biggest issue I have seen on the guns I have had built on were bolt lugs that were out of spec so far that only one lug was contacting the reciver. Or chambers that are cut short and bolts braking off. My buddy had the bolt come off his sendero last year. Rem did replace it after some phone time.
    Actually if you a do a search in google "Remingtons quality" you will see all kind of problems people have had since Remington basically went under and was bought by Cerberus, they got rid of a lot of staff so they start outsourcing a lot of there work apparently.

Feedback Score

I wasn't going to post this originally, but since someone else brought it up

You can fix/upgrade a lot of little things on a 700 (if necessary), add a stock and QD for that kind of money. Admittedly there are a few weak points like the extractor, scratching up brass, even a plastic trigger guard...but all easy and inexpensive to fix. Or have a custom shop like GAP do it for you. I won't dispute anything about FN but will stick with the 700 for myself.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast