Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question for the experienced about CQC and point shooting

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I appreciate the feedback fellas.

SOW- that makes perfect sense. Kind of backs up what my perception was, thanks.
    Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force. - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    At contact distance I just pick up the front sight post while looking over the rear app.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    My definition of "point shooting" is often different from many others. Looking over the top of the optic or sight is not what I consider point shooting. IMO a visual reference of the orientation of the weapons muzzle is not a true point shooting technique but rather another form of "sighted fire" such as picking up the front sight (flash front sight) or picking up the slide and barrel (slide or barrel indexing). IMO, point shooting is or should be defined as only relying purely on body mechanics to orient the muzzle of the weapon, without visual confirmation or reference of the weapon itself in relation to your target. For many good reasons we should ingrain into the non-gun community that "flash front sight" or "slide / barrel indexing" with a visual reference is indeed "sighted" or "aimed" fire. I hope that we can see by referencing these as an acceptable or accredited form of "sighted" or "aimed" fire has its advantages.

So yes at certain distances under certain circumstances / situations I may not be using a traditional sight alignment, or I might be looking "over" my optic or sights, or I may not even see my weapon at all, but 99% of the time I will be using some form of visual reference, such as flash front sight, barrel or slide indexing, which again I label as "sighted aimed fire". In reality we should always be attempting to get a good sight alignment / sight picture, but yes there are instances where this is not possible.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    For those of you that have kicked down doors in combat, were you always looking through an optic when engaging a foe? Are there times when you look over the optic and point shoot? Thanks.
    Looking through an optic or sights aligned on target when shooting a booger eater in the face.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Everyone who has any intrest in shooting techniques needs to watch the Kelly McCann video that was a part of the "Inside the Crucible" series. There was a classroom presentation in volume two, titled "Combat Shooting Realities", which is nothing short of brilliant.

McCann talks about the difference between the two, aimed, probably more accuratley called the Modern Technique ala Jeff Cooper, and point sighting ala Rex Applegate.

Before I came across McCanns video and started reasearching varying techniques, I was not aware of the different schools of thought in regards to shooting. Keep in mind i'm mostly talking pistol here. By far and away, the majority of pistol training programs (LEO in particular) stress the Modern Technique, or are based on its priciples.

You need to look at firearms as a martial art. Within martial arts, there are varying schools of thought and techniques. Learn as many as you can and know when to employ each.

I will also say that most people, even those who are trained, will not use the sights when under stress. This can be overcome, but one has to realize the problems as to why a person won't, and adapt.

By far and away it is a mindset thing. If you are not doing plenty of visualization and practice, you simply won't do it. Look at documented police shootings. The round hit/counts are no better in many cases than the bad guys. The training simply doesn't reflect the reality of what is going on.

I think to be sucessful, you need to combine both and know when to employ either.

I also think your average person never really truly experiences stress. Not life or death type. Exposure to stressful situations allows for a higher level of functioning under stress. There is very much a physical reaction to stress, and you need to be able to understand what your body & mind is going to do. I see people all day who vastly over react to simple situations, not because of the seriousness of the incident, but the contrast of the magnitude of the incident to their norm.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Lots of great info in other posts. For me, close in (clearing rooms) I've found that I focus on the target, as I bring the rifle to bear I fire off my controlled pairs as soon as I see the front sight enter my vision and is on the target. I've found that I've been able to shooter tighter, more accurate and faster than most of the other soldiers I've shot with. I remember doing a live shoot house in Kuwait before heading north and was dismayed at the lack of ability from some of the others.

I think what happens with me is I get into the zone and get so amped up I start to experience those physiological anomalies like auditory exclusion and time slowing down. However, as beneficial as those have proven to be, I feel like in those situations I tend to go into tunnel vision really easily and loose my situational awareness, not enough that its been a safety issue, but still makes me a little uncomfortable about it.

I think what it all comes down to, the more you train the faster you become and it becomes 2nd nature, instinctual, to the point where your body makes the motions without any true conscious thought, if that makes sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12