Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tac2 3-Gun Thread

Feedback Score

Tac2 3-Gun Thread

Okay, about my first 3-gun match, what will I need?

I have:

Carbine (you saw it in the '44th' thread)
    870 (18" barrel, side saddle, Knoxx stock, Hopson sling)
    Drop leg rig for 4 AR mags on my left hip and 1911 holster on right (does me well in carbine class)

What will I need to accomodate the shotgun?

How much ammo for each will I need?

Many thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    A discussion involving the gayest lubrication, pinkies, Popsicles, hammering balls and dripping guns, all in the same thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    I like living a life in which beer is an appetizer, the floor is just another shelf, and the world is my urinal.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Okay, about my first 3-gun match, what will I need?

I have:

Carbine (you saw it in the '44th' thread)
    870 (18" barrel, side saddle, Knoxx stock, Hopson sling)
    Drop leg rig for 4 AR mags on my left hip and 1911 holster on right (does me well in carbine class)

What will I need to accomodate the shotgun?

How much ammo for each will I need?

Many thanks in advance!
    You'll need about 100 rds. each for the pistol and rifle. For the shotgun, you'll need ~25 birdshot, 10 slugs, and 10 buck. I tend to bring more than that, but it's rare that more is needed. Some matches have more buck and slug, or shotgun in general, than others. If you can, find some low-recoil slugs, your shoulder will thank you. I order mine from Ammunition To Go. My neighbor shot one of Doc's 3-gun matches (the ones he held semi-annually before Roy started doing the monthly matches) with Buckhammers and I got to laugh at his bruised shoulder for a week. However, don't let a lack of low-recoil slugs discourage you, depending on the stages, you may not shoot any at all.

There's not a lot of high-round-count stages like in some of the USPSA matches, so you typically need only one rifle mag on your belt. I wear four pistol mag pouches on the left with an AR pouch behind them. You might need at least four pistol mags if you're shooting single-stack. Ten-round mags would be handy. I shoot an M&P and load up 17 rounds in each, so I don't typically get into the third and fourth reload mag.

I use a wrist holder and a 6-shell caddy on the belt for the shotgun and just put them on when I need them. I don't have any kind of special belt to hold all the stuff, just my normal Wilderness belt. The biggest help is an extended tube if you don't already have one, but it's not a huge deal if you don't—you just get to spend more time loading. It also helps to know how your shotgun patterns buck, and what your zero is for slugs. It also helps to have something of a plan for how you will reload the shotgun.

Roy's matches don't typically have any true run-n-gun stages (well, except when you have to run 75 yds. down a road taking out targets on the left and right), and he tries to set them up to make it less "gamey," for better or worse. There is no scoring system beyond neutralized threats; using IDPA targets, a threat is neutralized with one hit in the -0 or two hits in the -1 or better. Failures add 15 seconds to your time, so accuracy is rewarded more than pure speed.

It can seem like a lot, but once you get out there, provided you are relatively acquainted with the manual of arms for you weapons, it will fall into place relatively easily.

I'll likely be headed to TAC2 on Sunday, so if you want to hash some of this out before this month's match, you're welcome to meet me down there.
    “All falsehood is a mask, and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always distinguish it from the true face.”

State of Franklin Training Group

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Forgot that Sunday is Mother's Day. I'm going to head down there tomorrow afternoon.
    “All falsehood is a mask, and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always distinguish it from the true face.”

Feedback Score
    First off, thank you for taking the time to do that write-up. You've convinced me - and it sounds like something I'll really enjoy
    I'm fairly competent with the carbine and handgun, but the shotgun is my weak point right now.

Speaking of, do you think my 870 would do the job?

I won't be able to make it to Tac 2 tomorrow but I wish I could.

Looks like I need to pick up some more gear - a couple more mags and pouches!
    A discussion involving the gayest lubrication, pinkies, Popsicles, hammering balls and dripping guns, all in the same thread...
    I like living a life in which beer is an appetizer, the floor is just another shelf, and the world is my urinal.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Yeah, no problem on the 870, it's what I shoot. Mine's unadorned with an LE stock set. I just put the LE set on and have used the regular old 870 express wooden ones before that. I do have the 18" slug barrel with rifle sights, which helps when shooting slugs. You'll likely want to flip the shells in your carrier though. You can buy carriers and whatnot if you want, or you can borrow any of my shotgun stuff until you figure out what might work for you.

I suck at shotgun too and really only mess with it at the matches. I have to say though that I find the shotgun stuff to be the most fun.

You can get pistol and AR mag pouches at TAC2. Doc usually has some kydex ones around that he makes if you want to go that route. As far as it goes, you can load out of a pocket until you get an idea of what you might want. Very few guys come down there looking to win the race against everyone else and instead compete against themselves.

The biggest problem with 3-gun is getting hooked on it.

Feedback Score
    I don't know about you, but I don't think this shooting business is addictive at all. I can quit at any time

Feedback Score
    24 (96%)
    I did my first 3 gun match last month. I SUCKED.

Your gear will do just fine. I had too much on. Way too much.

I was kinda disappointed because I thought it was gonna be more even as far as how much each gun is shot. It was 50% AR, 40% Pistol, and 10% Shotgun. I was expecting a more even mix. It was still awesome, but I was expecting something different. I can't wait to go back.

One thing for sure, I 'thought' I was familiar with my AR and shotgun. I was VERY wrong. Malfunctions meant total breakdowns for me. I suddenly forgot how to clear malfunctions, it was a mess. The shotgun is my weak gun too though. I was surprised when my first 4 shots on steel resulted in 0 knocked down plates. Talk about embarrassing. Anyway, it was a GREAT time and I'm sure I'll see you guys there soon.

Feedback Score
    I bet I'll suck worse than you!

Question: Do you have to be a member of Tac2 to attend a match?

Feedback Score
    24 (96%)
    No. Its cheaper if you're a member by 5 dollars, but its open to anyone. All their matches are like that, including the annual match.

Feedback Score
    I did some digging and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir3e4NCXOjA
    Last edited by The Cat; 06-10-11 at 10:40.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast