Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ambi Safeties and Tactical Latches on Patrol Rifles

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well Im a BIG fan of the PRI latch
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    +1 for the the PRI Big Latch -- I usually just go whole hog for the GasBuster as its a bit beefier. Anything bigger and it gets caught in your gear. We had an issued "Tactical Latch" - it led to bent charging handles, damaged uppers (the constant clicking of it on the receiver will eat the lock notch) and weapons charged at inappropriate time or forced out of battery when they should have been charged.

As a righty I find that the ambi-selector gets in the way when I am rotating the weapon from safe to semi and moving my finger to the trigger - unless one gets a skeleton verions (like what Dano refers too).

I use a redi-mag when I can and the GenII and BFG versions make the ambi mag release functional. I have a Norgon Ambi-Catch in a carbine at home -- we had them issued - and had a lot of problems - inc several mags being knocked out during firefights. Won't catch me with one in a work gun.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    As stated by others above.... the ambi safety gets in the way of your trigger finger. I also thought this might be a good idea after attending a patol rifle class.... and I installed one. I quickly found that with a grip on the rifle, my finger out of the trigger guard, and as I tried to thumb the safety off, my trigger finger on the opposite side was in the way. As for the tac-latch.... I had the Badger ordinance one also. I found that the extra extension got in the way. Unless you are shooting a scope which interfers with grabbing the stock charging handle, stay with the stock. Under stress, I was still able to grab my rifle and use my off hand to rack the charging handle back to chamber a round,

Feedback Score
    I like the ambi safety as it allows me to operate the safety more easily when shooting from weak side.One other thing to consider is your selection of a tac sling.Make sure it allows for easy transition without resistance.
    As for the tac latches,I really dont care for them.Ive seen a few fellas using them accidentally snag the latch during carry/use and pull the bolt out of battery.A scoped weapon may be different for some,but my SPR scope is not mounted low enough to cause me issues with operation of the CH.
    Personally I try and keep my rifle as snag free as possible.Which is another reason I dont care for vertical grips on the forend either.
    But I guess Im old school as I have no use for a fully loaded weapon covered with all the latest and greatest tactical gadgets some folks like to add to a rifle.Especially weapon lights....which do make mighty fine targets in the end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12