Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Anyone ever bitten by a Brown Recluse?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jhs1969 View Post
    Since I have been bitten by a BR and the outcome was not very bad at all, do you have any idea how I would react to another bite. Would I have a stronger resistance or a more severe reaction? I ask because a young man near here died from a bite from a Copperhead, but he had been bitten a few years ealier and had a severe reaction to the second one that took his life. I have often wondered about this situation.
    The phenomenon that you describe with the copperhead bite is called anaphylaxis. The unfortunate person's immune system was exposed to proteins in the venom and became "primed" after the first bite. This involves large numbers of inflammatory cells (mostly mast cells) having antibody "receptors" (IgE) specific to that protein in the venom that wait for a subsequent exposure. The second bite results in the protein binding to the preformed antibody receptors which results in the mast cells dumping massive amounts of inflammatory chemicals such as histamine. Histamine shuts down the lungs, cardiovascular system, etc. Basically, victims of anaphylaxis die from their own body's exaggerated immune response rather than any direct effect from the poison. For example, certain proteins in peanuts can cause anaphylaxis in succeptable people.

While people's immune system can be "desensitized" thru repeated micro exposures, this is a risky process for people succeptable to anaphylaxis. People (who are not succeptable to anaphylaxis) can also develope protective antibodies to toxic components of venom. This antibodies bind to toxic molecules in venom and neutralizes them much the same way that anti-venom works. However, this also takes repeated, small exposures before any measurable protective effect is appreciated. Thus, you are likely to suffer a similar mild effect from another BR bite provided that you are not one of those rare cases who is prone to anaphylaxis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To OP

I have been in the Pest Control Industry for 18 years. If in fact you got bit in your home I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you have your home treated by a professional pest control company.

By their nature spiders are very difficult to control. They don't absorb many residual pesticides well. The only one I have found is a product called Demand CS. It has an active ingredient of Lamda-Cyhalothrin. It works fairly well. Sticky traps are effective also because BR spiders are hunters and mobile.

I will warn you that you should expect to pay around $40-$50 a month for a good company but it is well worth it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sarge1967 View Post
    To OP

I have been in the Pest Control Industry for 18 years. If in fact you got bit in your home I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you have your home treated by a professional pest control company.

By their nature spiders are very difficult to control. They don't absorb many residual pesticides well. The only one I have found is a product called Demand CS. It has an active ingredient of Lamda-Cyhalothrin. It works fairly well. Sticky traps are effective also because BR spiders are hunters and mobile.

I will warn you that you should expect to pay around $40-$50 a month for a good company but it is well worth it.
    Thanks for the recommendation, we use sticky traps and they work well. It has definitely reduced their numbers. However, as far as pesticides, we have two dogs in the house. What effect might these pesticides have on them?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Dibs on shooting him if he turns into a zombie.
    That's awesome.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhs1969 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation, we use sticky traps and they work well. It has definitely reduced their numbers. However, as far as pesticides, we have two dogs in the house. What effect might these pesticides have on them?
    I would just recommend having your dogs outside or crated while the Pest Tech does treatment and until it dries. Will not harm the dogs. This product is a low odor material. Most folks do not even smell it at all. The rate it is applied at is .06%. So it is a very small amount of material.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I bet it's an awesome accelerant too when you finally decide burning your house down is the only real option.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J8127 View Post
    I bet it's an awesome accelerant too when you finally decide burning your house down is the only real option.
    This is my favorite non-firearm related quote on m4c. I laughed so hard scrambled eggs came out of my nose.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Fundi View Post
    The Hobo Spider which is related to the BR and is also poisonous is VERY common in the North. When I lived in MT there were 100s of them in my basement and they creeped thru the house. Drove me nuts as I really hate spiders. I killed several hundred in one go that were under my dog's outside dog house. They seem to be impervious to cold. This could be what got your leg.
    Sounds like you need to set your thermostat on about 75 degrees for a couple weeks and unleash a couple dozen geckos in your house. When I lived in Hawaii the only bug I really had to control was theneighbors cockroaches, only because they were too big for the geckos to eat. Ants and spiders were no contest.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by N.Franklin View Post
    Sounds like you need to set your thermostat on about 75 degrees for a couple weeks and unleash a couple dozen geckos in your house. When I lived in Hawaii the only bug I really had to control was theneighbors cockroaches, only because they were too big for the geckos to eat. Ants and spiders were no contest.
    This ends with having to unleash a few Bengal Tigers to kill the thing you unleashed to kill the thing you unleashed to kill the thing you unleashed to kill the thing you unleashed to kill the geckos you unleashed to kill the spiders.

But seriously, that would likely work. I'd rather have lizards than spiders.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456