Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Gun for 600 yards

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lightsareout View Post
    I took it out shooting on Sunday. I had to make a slight adjustment to the scope after torquing the rings properly. I was very disappointed in my groups however. At 50 yards I was getting 1in-1.5in groups and at 100 yards 2in groups. I would expect it to be tighter than that for the short distance. I don't think it is my shooting as I'm using a bipod and sand bag on the back; also I have shot several deer out to 300 yards with a different rifle.

One idea I read on another board is that the bipod is affecting the barrel since the stock is cheaply made. Do you guys think this is possible?
    Well, there are a lot of things it could be. Unless you know exactly what kind of shooting you're capable of, it could be you. Lots of guys can shoot 2 MOA groups, not many guys can shoot .5MOA groups consistently - and both they and the rig have to be up to it. First, what ammo were you using?

Second thing to do is check the crown. The simplest way to do that, for the uninitiated, is to take a q-tip and run it around the crown. (Experienced guys, calm down - this is greatly oversimplified, and I know it.) If anything snags, take the rifle to a good smith and have it recrowned immediately.

Next - if your rings were loose, your base might be too - and the only way to know is to dismount everything and start over. If you don't have someone around who REALLY knows what they're doing (i.e. not Cletus the local gunsmith who puts scopes on Billy Bob's deer rifle all the time), come back and we'll talk you through it.

And since you have the scope and base off, go ahead and check the stock for contact with the barrel (use a dollar bill, and run it back to the receiver. If it hits anything, you need to address it.) and then reassemble the gun carefully and retorque the action bolts. Mark them with a paint pen so you can see if they move.

After you've done all that, try it again - and if you have never seen yourself shoot a no-shit sub-MOA at least 5-round group on command, find a friend who can. Then tell us what happens.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How many rounds did you shoot on Sunday?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChetPunisher View Post
    How many rounds did you shoot on Sunday?
    I shot 20 rounds and was using Remington UMC 150Gr ammo

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lightsareout View Post
    I shot 20 rounds and was using Remington UMC 150Gr ammo
    There could be your culprit.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KAC Lover View Post
    There could be your culprit.
    Probably is. That's about all that ammo is capable of. Toss that stuff in the trash or save it for your battle rifle. You need Federal Gold Medal Match, Black Hills Match, or as a third choice Hornady TAP 168gr to start.

What, you thought this game was affordable? Factory loads for my .300 Win Magnum are $2.37 each. The ammo you'll need will be between $1.10-$2 a shot for factory rounds.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567