Thread: Best Camo I ever owned

Feedback Score

Best Camo I ever owned

The best camo I have ever owned I made in grade school. I needed a project for my boy scout merit badge for hunting or some other badge. Anyway, my mom had bought a pair of Levi naturals. They were 100% natural cotton jeans with no dyes at all. We had come back from our farm and picked a bucket full of black walnuts in the husk. I husked all of the walnuts and pulverized the husks. Then I grabbed a big paint brush and proceeded to rub husk stuff all over the pants and shirt.

Most camo is made from dyes that have brighteners in them that wildlife can see like a neon sign. This stuff looked so natural that I blended in everywhere. I used to have deer walk up on me back in the day when there was no such thing as Scent Lok. I think next summer I am going black walnut picking again. I am not too satisfied with my current camo and I think I am going to modify it.

Just a cheap idea for those cost-minded hunters out there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Most of us are at the 3rd Grade level...we like pictures!
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think pecans work pretty well too. Was just clearing the yard after a storm and they sained my wifes hand brown. It took about a week to wear off.

-RD62

Feedback Score
    I don't have the camo any more. But I will be making some. We have pecan trees and black walnut. I just need to get some husks that will make green. I am thinking buckeye husks might do the trick. The hardest part is finding the natural wool or cotton that is not from some environmental waco's web site.

Feedback Score
    Ive used walnut dye for various historical projects, dying both cloth and brain tanned leather. It works quite well, especially as a cold dye. You can mix a whole bunch of husks with water in a pot, throw the leather or cloth in and let it sit for a few days.

A friend didnt cover his dye pot and as it was fall a bunch of leaves fell in and reacted with the dye. He pulled out his rev war caped hunting shirt to find a leaf pattern on it.
    Life is too short to deal with Blonde women, or carbine barrels over 10.5 inches

Feedback Score
    xxxxx
    Last edited by PALADIN-hgwt; 07-09-09 at 22:33.
    Qui Me Tangit Paenitebit (he who touches me will repent)