Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW in Wisconsin

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I'm from a very rural part of WI and I can't see the new bill having a profound affect on the way of life there, but I am very interested in seeing how things play out in some of the more populated areas. Madison and the Milwaukee area especially. As a criminal justice student, I'm even more interested in how LE is going to react to it. In all, I think it's a step in the right direction for the state, and hopefully its not the last.

At the very least I have an excuse to go holster shopping...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    I'm from a very rural part of WI and I can't see the new bill having a profound affect on the way of life there, but I am very interested in seeing how things play out in some of the more populated areas. Madison and the Milwaukee area especially. As a criminal justice student, I'm even more interested in how LE is going to react to it. In all, I think it's a step in the right direction for the state, and hopefully its not the last. At the very least I have an excuse to go holster shopping...
    There will be the normal north-south, metro/rural divide. I've talked to some WI CLEOs and senior staff. To their credit, regardless of their own opinion many seem to be approaching the new CCW laws from a practical, operational point of view. How they will verify, what interactions with citizens will be like, officer and citizen complaints arising out of CCW contacts, temporary seizures, disclosures, etc.

Most have or will look to MN, which implemented its shall-issue quite successfully.

Of course, there are hand-wringers too.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The bill is pretty decent. Not perfect, but very balanced, I think. The high points:

* it is a concealed weapon, not concealed firearm, permit

* recognizes other states permits as long as that state has a permit that requires training

* fines for minor violations, (i.e., forgetting your permit when you are packing,) are very cheap and releasable

* training requirements are very simple and basic, perhaps to simple & basic

* DOJ can't charge more than $50 for the license and they must issue it within either 21 or 45 days....the wording here is a little cloudy

* records of permit holders are only releasable/storable for very specific purposes,

* employers cannot prohibit employees from storing a weapon in there own vehicle, even if parked on the employers property

There is, obviously, a lot more to it but these are the high points and I've only got so much time.

As far as LE reactions to it. Several years ago during in-service the staff did a very informal, un-scientific, survey to gauge officers thoughts on CCW in general. Take in mind, this was only Milwaukee PD and as I said, very un-scientific. The results were split in thirds.....1/3 favored it, 1/3 didn't care either way, 1/3 were against.

The day that I was there and saw the results, the third that favored it were generally the more hard-core coppers/DET's/SGT's/LT's. This group was also generally the hunters and recreational or competitive shooters; mostly the type of person that is a little more knowledgable about guns and the gun debate.

The middle group is still on our side of the fence.

The 1/3 opposed.....well.......let's just say they're the type you probably won't be coming into contact with anyways.

I believe MPD's chief personally favors it, despite what he says publicly. He's been the Chief at agencies in other states that have CCW so he knows first-hand that permit holders are not trouble makers. Plus a year or two ago he was calling for registration and no private sales, but he has said none of that recently.

I also recently watched while a chief from another PD fingerprinted folks himself for Florida's and Utah's permit.

So, it's gonna pass this time around, of that there is no doubt. The only questions are in some of the fine print; and what sort of delay tactics are the lib-tards going to put us through.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    So, it's gonna pass this time around, of that there is no doubt. The only questions are in some of the fine print; and what sort of delay tactics are the lib-tards going to put us through.
    This is the only thing that has me concerned...

Any input as to when the applications will be available from the state .gov?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    This is a must read! http://politics.gather.com/viewArtic...81474979474256

Mayor Soglin stated that he will sign an ordinance that will not allow anyone to carry concealed weapons on private property unless the carrier has written permission from the owner of the property.

Feedback Score
    There is an ordinance being proposed in Eau Claire, WI as well. Start reading on page 13.

http://www.co.eau-claire.wi.us/Agend...062111_pkt.pdf

This ordinance is chock full of errors, LIES, and misleading statements meant to scare people. We need to be there and stand up and speak on this. Read it and take notes.. speak on point.. speak the truth.

We had it tabled once but it is being taken up again TOMORROW June 21st at 7:00pm. If you are from the area (or can drive here) I urge you to be there at 6:00pm and meet up with the members of the group WISCONSIN CARRY INC. They will be there handing out "Gun's Save Lives" buttons.

-Matt

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karcas View Post
    There is an ordinance being proposed in Eau Claire, WI as well. Start reading on page 13.

http://www.co.eau-claire.wi.us/Agend...062111_pkt.pdf

This ordinance is chock full of errors, LIES, and misleading statements meant to scare people. We need to be there and stand up and speak on this. Read it and take notes.. speak on point.. speak the truth.

We had it tabled once but it is being taken up again TOMORROW June 21st at 7:00pm. If you are from the area (or can drive here) I urge you to be there at 6:00pm and meet up with the members of the group WISCONSIN CARRY INC. They will be there handing out "Gun's Save Lives" buttons.

-Matt
    That appears to be a resolution recommended by a sub-committee of the county board, not an ordinance. It's essentially a formal declaration that the body opposes CCW as constructed, but doesn't carry any force of law. Read: It's a whine letter.

Eau Claire and Eau Claire County aren't any different than a number of other upper-midwest cities in the ~65k population range. That author's use of stats and data is...interesting...to say the least.

Good luck.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    You are correct, it is a resolution with no force of law.

IF they pass the resolution and the legislature believes EVERYBODY in Eau Claire County opposes concealed carry, or wants further restrictions, it may sway the votes of one or two representatives and thus affecting the entire state. When one county takes action, the anti-rights “league of municipalities” helps the others take the same action thus affecting the entire state. Too many times we have seen little things start in one township or county and all of a sudden POOF, it has taken effect statewide.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    VICTORY! http://www.wisn.com/r/28313717/detail.html

Good news for Wisconsin!

Me personally I'm for Constitutional carry but this is definitely a step forward.
    Last edited by Irish; 06-22-11 at 13:25.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Congrats, Wisconsin! Now start working on those reciprocity agreements!
    This isn't an illegal gun, it's an "undocumented protection device". Don't be so insensitive.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast