Page 257 of 311 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257258259267307 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,570 of 3110

Thread: LMT .308 MWS Pictures show us your setup

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KILLICK View Post
    What kind of group size at 100 yards can one reasonably expect from a LMT .308 with a 16" barrel using commercial match grade ammo, like Federal 168gr or 175gr SMKs? (Assuming of course the shooter does his job well).

Also, in the video the guy made of the 13.5" barrel shooting he refers to a "heavy buffer" on the rifle? Do they come with a heavy buffer or was this an upgrade he put in the rifle himself?
    Funny you should ask, but I took the South American MWS equipped with a standard 16" out today for the first time and had my nephew with me. He's from California and it was his first time behind any gun ever. After I got the rifle sighted in (surprisingly only a single 1 mil adjustment up), I shot the first three round group @ 100 yds using IMI 168gr Razor Core.

After that I passed it off to my nephew, and after coaching him through some marksmanship basics he shot the 3 round group below (1). That one-off isn't a flyer (2), but it was a round he went back and put in that circle after we moved on to other targets, heated up the barrel, and then started experiencing cycling issues (more to follow on that). I gotta say, the kid (actually in his early 20s) seems to be a natural, and it seems I've turned yet another family member who was otherwise ignorant to guns and who might have demonstrated some anti-gun tendencies in the past, to someone who is now very much looking forward to the next shooting session.

So I brought a can out with us today, but really had no intention on shooting it suppressed until my XH heavy buffer gets here. However, I did notice that the ejection pattern was more to the 4-5 o'clock position and was showing signs of being under-gassed with the bolt not completing a full cycle. I chalked it up as an ammo issue since I didn't run anything but the Razor Core today. In hindsight I wish I had put the can on to see what it was going to do, but we cut our range session short since I had to supervise my daughter and son shooting their rifles as well. Next time out I'll bring my usual 175gr FGGM and M118LR since that's what I primarily run and then see what it's doing. I'll also have my XH buffer in hand by that time.

ETA: Forgot to mention that rifle came standard with an H3 buffer. The XH buffer is an aftermarket solution to the increased cycling rate when running suppressed.
    Last edited by Boba Fett v2; 05-31-19 at 18:54. Reason: clarity
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    Did you shoot any 5, or more, round groups?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KILLICK View Post
    Well...dang! That's awesome. That's with the chrome-lined barrel? Can I ask what power scope you were using? I've got a 2.5-10 I plan on using with it, and I see Nightforce just released the NX8 2.5-20.
    Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x CCH

Quote Originally Posted by mcharb007 View Post
    Did you shoot any 5, or more, round groups?
    I always shoot a minimum of 5 rounds when I'm looking at accuracy. Today was an exception due to the purpose of just wanting to get some rounds down the pipe and onboarding a new shooter. It could be argued that I could have started him out on a 5.56 gun, but he seemed interested in that particular setup because it looked like a "sniper" rifle. I figured I'd tap into the "Call of Duty" gamer within and entice him that way. Shit worked.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I’ll post some pictures of my groups with my MWS. 16” chrome-lined barrel in 308. I’m getting 1/2- 3/4 MOA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Oops thought I put that. Fgmm 168gr. Using a Trijicon accupower 1-8

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I’m still young, my eyes are pretty good. Badass bag under the rear stock and a good, loaded bipod will go a long ways

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jared91 View Post
    I’m still young, my eyes are pretty good. Badass bag under the rear stock and a good, loaded bipod will go a long ways

Interesting you should say that. I now employ a more neutral load on the bipod on large frame ARs after taking Jack's Dual-role Carbine course based on his recommendation. Accuracy and consistency increased as a result. Since then I've come across other switched-on shooters who advise the same method. We're all built a bit different, but others who have made the switch from an aggressive preload to a more neutral load have reported the same results. When I coached my first time shooter nephew on that method, he was able to achieve stellar results his first time behind a gun. I would give it a try. You could always go back to your proven method if it doesn't work out for you.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    Interesting you should say that. I now employ a more neutral load on the bipod on large frame ARs after taking Jack's Dual-role Carbine course based on his recommendation. Accuracy and consistency increased as a result. Since then I've come across other switched-on shooters who advise the same method. We're all built a bit different, but others who have made the switch from an aggressive preload to a more neutral load have reported the same results. When I coached my first time shooter nephew on that method, he was able to achieve stellar results his first time behind a gun. I would give it a try. You could always go back to your proven method if it doesn't work out for you.
    How does that effect staying on target during recoil?

I rarely shoot for groups anymore, and rather shoot steel 600-1,200 yards. I've aleays used a heavy preload to help with recoil and being able to spot my own hits.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    An aggressive load adds more stress to the boss of the rifle, where the barrel nut engages the receiver, the inertia of the reciprocating mass coupled with the stress you add at the receiver extension transfers unwanted energy into the barrel, rather than grounding out through the bipod. Preloading a bolt gun (still recommended) is good to go because you're not dealing with those factors. ETA: In my experience this method does not negatively affect staying on target under recoil considering you're still stabilizing the gun with your business-as-usual body position with the appropriate application of all the fundamentals.

KILLICK, roger. Forward pressure into the bipod.
    Last edited by Boba Fett v2; 06-02-19 at 12:20.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    I’ll give that a try next time I shoot for groupings. As mentioned below by someone else, lately I have been shooting nothing but long range steel, and it does help me spot my own hits. As for loading up the bipod putting stress on the rifle, that is incorrect for the MWS, as the upper is a monolithic design.

Page 257 of 311 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257258259267307 ... LastLast