Page 285 of 311 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,850 of 3110

Thread: LMT .308 MWS Pictures show us your setup

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre675 View Post
    That’s gonna be tough to say overall beings it’s going to be chopped also. I can weigh it and get back with you in a few months. Both my 308 barrels are ball milled. I have a 14.5” CL and a 16” SS that would be more applicable to you. I’ll try and get some data in the near future and maybe you can weigh yours for comparison. I think people who have posted in the past put the savings at 6 oz, but I’m not completely sure.
    Ok, sounds good. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I'll 4thly addd that over the counter Vmax are lasers. And 69 grain SMK's are GTG too. If you can find some Black hills is good factory ammo too. I would take whatever time needed to shoot groups before you send off to get raped. Nice looking rack of gear.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    I have the same barrel.....in .308 and I would be interested in the weight savings that the dimple provides. Thanks.
    I've been down this road. I can tell you now that the weight saving is negligible, measured in mere ounces IIRC. Better to go in not having high expectations, but rather marvel at the beauty of Marvin's work of art while benefiting from a rifle length gas system (if that's you're main goal).
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    I've been down this road. I can tell you now that the weight saving is negligible, measured in mere ounces IIRC. Better to go in not having high expectations, but rather marvel at the beauty of Marvin's work of art while benefiting from a rifle length gas system (if that's you're main goal).
    Well, I don’t see myself hiking or running with mine....it’s 13.5, almost 14lbs fully loaded. If $$$$ is being spent for mere ounces....no thanks. I still need to find an mb or FH to pin and weld for my 13.5” SS barrel. Preferably a Surefire something or other.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Well, I don’t see myself hiking or running with mine....it’s 13.5, almost 14lbs fully loaded. If $$$$ is being spent for mere ounces....no thanks. I still need to find an mb or FH to pin and weld for my 13.5” SS barrel. Preferably a Surefire something or other.

I’m not sure any barrel reprofiling methodology that is going to save you pounds. 6 ounces is nothing to sneeze at.

The problem with MWS Platform especially, is it is front heavy. What I’ve noticed was a more favorable balance. The MLR was 6-8 ounces lighter then the pic version iirc, that combined with the shorter ball milled barrel is noticeably more wieldy and pleasant to shoulder.

I can’t remember but I think a reprofile saves a negligible amount of weight compared to ball mill. Probably not worth the price of admission for most. I like it from an aesthetic perspective of a bygone lineage that has little applicability.

I personally would have ordered the light weight offerings if they were available. Unfortunately this isn’t a option on the 5.56 variants.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    My ACC serves the purpose of being my relatively lightweight go-to 7.62 gasser. It's configured for dual-role and long walks out in bear and mountain lion country. Despite being outfitted with an MPVO and offset RDS, when I shoulder the rifle it still feels like a similarly outfitted 5.56 gun. The MWS is noticeably heavier due to the design of the chassis and barrel extension. In theory, the MWS should be the more versatile rifle given the quick barrel change system and the option to add a lightweight profile barrel, and of course this is where it truly excels. Nevertheless, the ACC just feels like a completely different animal by comparison and offers more in terms of mobility. If LMT could figure out how to make the system more comparable to the ACC in that regard I suspect less people would pay the premium for a KAC. I haven't used a 13.5" or a lightweight profile MWS barrel, but I would welcome an opportunity to try one and compare it to the ACC. That said, I find the MWS 7.62 barrels to be more consistent in terms of accuracy and less finicky with regards to the type of ammo it likes to feed.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    Boba,
    The weight issue is the reason I half heartedly punchlined the idea of unloading the AT. I carry my rifles I own for about everything and 18+lbs of bolt gun is a haul. My MWS is 13lbs with Gen2 Razor, big difference when lugging it all day and I’m 58... But my rifles are not bench guns. MWS is not bad after the AT marathons 💪

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My ACC serves the purpose of being my relatively lightweight go-to 7.62 gasser. It's configured for dual-role and long walks out in bear and mountain lion country. Despite being outfitted with an MPVO and offset RDS, when I shoulder the rifle it still feels like a similarly outfitted 5.56 gun. The MWS is noticeably heavier due to the design of the chassis and barrel extension. In theory, the MWS should be the more versatile rifle given the quick barrel change system and the option to add a lightweight profile barrel, and of course this is where it truly excels. Nevertheless, the ACC just feels like a completely different animal by comparison and offers more in terms of mobility. If LMT could figure out how to make the system more comparable to the ACC in that regard I suspect less people would pay the premium for a KAC. I haven't used a 13.5" or a lightweight profile MWS barrel, but I would welcome an opportunity to try one and compare it to the ACC. That said, I find the MWS 7.62 barrels to be more consistent in terms of accuracy and less finicky with regards to the type of ammo it likes to feed.
    I’m tempted to have a 13.5” LW barrel turned down to CC contour. I think that would put it in line with CC weight.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have both and while i have much more time on the MWS, I can opine that from going from the 18 inch SS and the 16 inch CL to the Std 13.5, I saved 12 and 5 ounces respectively off the front end of the rifle. The MLK saves around 4oz of the front end as well.

so although stripped down the 13.5 MWS noticeable heavier than the ACC, taking almost 1lb off the front of the gun is significant in terms of how it handles. the LW 13.5 would save an additional 8oz. So at that point you are within a half pound of the ACC. Can the Lighter MWS handle as well as an ACC, no but then again the ACC can't do nearly as well long range.

I think Chuck Pressberg best said it on a modcast once, once that you don't want to ask a Mk48 to do M240 stuff nor do you want to use a 240 for Mk48 stuff.

Stick with the 25 for anything mobility based, and the MWS for anything that is going to be more static. Life is good.

If running both are not an option, I think capabilities that the MWS can give you at extended ranges, is worth the 8oz hit you take in the rifles weight still make it very appealing.

Last edited by m4hk33; 01-01-20 at 00:42.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4hk33 View Post
    I have both and while i have much more time on the MWS, I can opine that from going from the 18 inch SS and the 16 inch CL to the Std 13.5, I saved 12 and 5 ounces respectively off the front end of the rifle. The MLK saves around 4oz of the front end as well.

so although stripped down the 13.5 MWS noticeable heavier than the ACC, taking almost 1lb off the front of the gun is significant in terms of how it handles. the LW 13.5 would save an additional 8oz. So at that point you are within a half pound of the ACC. Can the Lighter MWS handle as well as an ACC, no but then again the ACC can't do nearly as well long range.

I think Chuck Pressberg best said it on a modcast once, once that you don't want to ask a Mk48 to do M240 stuff nor do you want to use a 240 for Mk48 stuff.

Stick with the 25 for anything mobility based, and the MWS for anything that is going to be more static. Life is good.

If running both are not an option, I think capabilities that the MWS can give you at extended ranges, is worth the 8oz hit you take in the rifles weight still make it very appealing.

☝️Well said. Both are gorgeous rifles.

Page 285 of 311 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295 ... LastLast