Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why aren't there any decent matches for ARs?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Why aren't there any decent matches for ARs?

Sure, ARs are used in 3-gun matches, but the AR is so versatile that I'd like to see a match where all that is used are ARs, or similar assault rifles, but I've yet to see such a competition.

This seems to be a big hole in the shooting sports. The AR can shoot well out to 500 yards, but not many owners ever shoot theirs past 100 yards, I'm willing to bet. One reason is that there are no matches designed around them. Sure there are Carbine Classes, but those are not an activity that most can attend regularly. If you don't train with your AR regularly, how are you to become or remain proficient? 3 gun matches are okay I guess, but not everybody is interested in pistols or shotguns, or both. Precision matches are okay and have their place, but the distances typically shot are well beyond the AR envelope, or even realistic real-world scenarios, and of course a precision rifle is useless at close ranges. ARs can do everything the regular guy is likely to need.

I tried to work up interest in a local AR shooting league last year with little success.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Many USPSA matches have 'side matches'. Blackwater has one this month (3rd Sunday). It's a stage where it's ONLY rifle, simple rules USPSA scoring and you're either Open class or Limited (scope or irons).
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I run a local carbine match. We're limited to a 100 yard range, so the longest shots we can make are 130 yards+/- shooting diagonally. I try to make up for the lack of distance by having people shoot our 4" steel.

Everyone's tastes are different. If you design a match too much around your particular wants you'll be shooting alone very quickly. By the same token, if you're the one running it you should get to shoot it how you want to. As an example, I have gotten pressure from time to time from people that want to turn it into 3-gun and add shotgun, but I'm not doing it.

We do mostly CQB distances, and we try to work in reloads and transitions where possible. We run 3 stages per match, and as a rule of thumb I try to make one include a reload and one include a transition. I also try to work in at least one drills stage, and at least one with some kind of "surprise".

For example, a "surprise" stage we had last year was shot from the back of a moving trailer pulled behind an SUV. There were targets painted red and an equal number painted green. At the start of the stage you flipped a coin to determine the color that you were to engage, with the other color becoming non-threats. It was tons of fun, and everyone really enjoyed themselves.

We've also done drills stages where we shot the same basic stage; once with a reload and once with a transition.

We've done team stages with the steel at 130 yards and a scattering of cardboard at 25 yards and less with one shooter playing the "sniper" and shooting at the steel and the other providing cover by shooting the cardboard closer in.

I suggest you get yourself involved with your local IDPA or IPSC club and try to get them to run some kind of side matches. That is kind of how ours evolved.

Feedback Score
    You mean like the Wimbledon Cup?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    No, I mean the exact opposite of the Wimbledon Cup, or any such abstract quest for "points".

I want an event that puts holes in paper. Not one where people vie for meaningless, arbitrary "points".

Holes in paper as in human-shaped targets succesfully hit, hit anywhere.

But I seem to be in the minority in that respect. Most if not all matches revolve around generating lists of who is better than who; in the more popular of these follies gew-gaws are given away to the golden boys.

I'd be happy taking home a set of targets with holes in them.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    I tried to work up interest in a local AR shooting league last year with little success.
    Could be that some folks in CA don't want to take their ARs out of hiding.

Check out www.actshooters.com

80% of the folks shooting these matches ar running ARs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    No, I mean the exact opposite of the Wimbledon Cup, or any such abstract quest for "points".

I want an event that puts holes in paper. Not one where people vie for meaningless, arbitrary "points".

Holes in paper as in human-shaped targets succesfully hit, hit anywhere.

But I seem to be in the minority in that respect. Most if not all matches revolve around generating lists of who is better than who; in the more popular of these follies gew-gaws are given away to the golden boys.

I'd be happy taking home a set of targets with holes in them.
    The natural disposition of someone who participates in any event that is organized is to try to do better than the dude or dudette standing next to them...

If you subscribe to the "Only hits count" philosophy, then perhaps organized shooting matches are not for you?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nationwide View Post
    The natural disposition of someone who participates in any event that is organized is to try to do better than the dude or dudette standing next to them...
    I would have to respectfully disagree on that one. When I am shooting I am generally trying to improve my skill set and have fun. I really don't care where my scores fall. I generally don't have the time to train or compete on the same level as some of the other folk, nor do I really have a desire to.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Competition and social heirarchy are inseperable from the human condition.

But I would like to see a match that doesn't turn into a race for points. Of course it would be scored, but only in terms of targets engaged and hit, so theoretically several shooters could end up being "#1". Depending on the course of fire though, speed would be emphesized, so there is always the clock to beat. Scores would help you see where you are in relation to others, and how your skill level evolves over time.

Another thing I would ban would be restrictions on firing positions, which is one of the things that annoy me about the matches I have been to. Too artificial; too contrived IMHO. Let the shooter pick his own way of doing things.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    We only restrict firing positions for safety and/or for "drills" stages. If the point is to shoot prone, kneeling, standing from 3 positions then you're going to have to shoot from those positions. Otherwise the shooter is free to take a knee, shoot standing, whatever, so long as it is safe and doesn't result in rounds leaving the range.

Our scoring is intended to reward accuracy over speed and to reflect the real-world implications of shooting a friendly or missing a threat; either one gets you penalized 30 seconds.

We use standard IDPA targets. To neutralize a target, you need at least 2 shots in the -0 or at least 3 shots in the -1 or better. -3 don't count for anything. In other words, you can have one COM and one headshot and the target is "neutralized", or you can have one COM and two -1 for the same result. Targets are score as either neutralized or not. It makes scoring very quick, and allows even the most inexperienced of our shooters to help score.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast