Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle for light precision supremacy: The Recce Rifle Vs. The SPR

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Battle for light precision supremacy: The Recce Rifle Vs. The SPR

Last edited by ALCOAR; 07-15-11 at 19:37.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Trident, Good work on an interesting topic. FWIW, Years ago I went through law enforcement basic sniper school and showed up with an AR., the only non bolt, non 7.62 in the class. The other students all chuckled. I had no problems on the quals, and we shot out to 600(not for quals). By the end of the class all of the other students weren't laughing anymore. I used a Krieger 20" tube JP trigger, Leupold, and BH 68 grainers. After the class I started using a few 18"s and finally settled on 16" as my standard for an 5.56 AR. For me other than the idea of having multiple carbines, which I do the 16" is all the length I need. I'm currently playing with a Crusader barrel and hope to have some data on that out to 300 shortly. I'm thinking about pulling the barrel as I'm not getting groups I think I shoud, starting from zero again.

As much as I apprreciate your work I wonder how the 14.5's and 12.5's would fare? I've found in my own shooting that the 14.5 seems very close to 400 and then tends to open up and am hoping the 12.5 will be good to 250-300. I've never used Rock's for AR's. How do they compare to Noveske or Krieger?
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Trident, great thread. Put together very well with a lot of thought and research/work as usual. I'm always watching your threads and amazed at your dedication. I'd like this thread to continue with different loads and distances comparing both rifles. Great shooting and rifles as usual.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So, you're reducing the definitions to distinctions between barrel lengths and minor difference in optics?

I ask because I've always been confused by these definitions and how they get thrown about, and how they relate to other common terms like "sniper rifle" or "DMR", etc. and I think that it appears that some people get hijacked by their perception of the definitions rather than application for their purposes. Some people (clearly not you since your rifles deviate pretty heavily from what I understand are the issued versions) get consumed by making replicas rather than tools.

Maybe a chart contrasting the two would help.

For those of us not as steeped in this arena the distinctions become confusing.

Relative to the differences in optics, do you think that some shooters may do better with one optic/reticule type while others might do better with the other?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Nice post Trident..I really like the "Ghey" Dirty Bird targets you used

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Trident,

I appreciate what you’re trying to do here and those are beautiful rifles, however I’d like to comment on your implementation of the scientific method. For brevity, I won’t get too geeky here and won’t touch on sample size or proper methods for the design of experiments. Given a sample size of one per each configuration indeed one would want all control variables to be as similar as possible. You’ve stated as much, but what you’re comparing is the effect of two different barrel lengths with different muzzle devices and slightly different optics using “cherry” picked results.

The controls variables that are different are the optics, muzzle devices, and barrels. I don’t think the more compact NF would have any appreciable effect on results (save a slightly narrower FOV and less light transmission), particularly at 100y. We know that barrel characteristics can have an effect on precision, but different muzzle devices can have an effect too, though it may be minor.

I’d recommend making your comparison rifles as similar as possible (if that’s your intent) by losing the muzzle devices or using the same MDs and comparing all groups or random samples of your groups.

Just some suggestions, again, I think threads like this can be informative.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I think there is no argument over "Recce" vs "SPR" except barrel length.

Many tactical precision shooters are moving to shorter barrels.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gfelber View Post
    Trident,

I appreciate what you’re trying to do here and those are beautiful rifles, however I’d like to comment on your implementation of the scientific method. For brevity, I won’t get too geeky here and won’t touch on sample size or proper methods for the design of experiments. Given a sample size of one per each configuration indeed one would want all control variables to be as similar as possible. You’ve stated as much, but what you’re comparing is the effect of two different barrel lengths with different muzzle devices and slightly different optics using “cherry” picked results.

The controls variables that are different are the optics, muzzle devices, and barrels. I don’t think the more compact NF would have any appreciable effect on results (save a slightly narrower FOV and less light transmission), particularly at 100y. We know that barrel characteristics can have an effect on precision, but different muzzle devices can have an effect too, though it may be minor.

I’d recommend making your comparison rifles as similar as possible (if that’s your intent) by losing the muzzle devices or using the same MDs and comparing all groups or random samples of your groups.

Just some suggestions, again, I think threads like this can be informative.
    The only difference at that point is muzzle velocity and the resulting ballistics. His topic is about two different concepts of rifles, not comparing two barrel lengths on the same rifle otherwise.

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast