Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: Battle for light precision supremacy: The Recce Rifle Vs. The SPR

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    if you want to see bullet glint, shoot a HP 45 acp eastward in the afternoon.
    ........or a suppressed, select-fire 10-22 running subsonic rounds. A little shiny rainbow.

A little off topic but very amusing to witness.

Keith

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Sinister....really appreciate the excellent, and very understandable reply above.

It would be great if you could weigh in on the following questions:

1. Would you take a Recce or SPR rifle into the field if you could only pick one?

2. Would you still take that 5.56 LP AR into the field over a 7.62/.308 16" L129A1/16" MWSE, or a 16" M110C/16" SR-25 EMC?

Reason I ask is because nowadays when I piece together a rifle based on the Recce model, I just can't ever imagine myself taking the 5.56 16" AR over the .308 16" AR.

My MWS flat out dominates both of my Recce, and SPR MRPs....and only weighs a bit less than 2lbs than either one. Mag capacity, ability to carry more ammo on the person, and ammo commonality are all big check marks for the 5.56 rifle, but once you start shooting the rifles, especially north of 600-700yds, the .308 Recce shines big time from what I've been finding thus far.

5.56 Recce VS. 7.62 Recce

Last edited by ALCOAR; 09-29-12 at 16:27.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    I just can't ever imagine myself taking the 5.56 16" AR over the .308 16" AR.

My MWS flat out dominates both of my Recce, and SPR MRPs....and only weighs a bit less than 2lbs than either one. Mag capacity, ability to carry more ammo on the person, and ammo commonality are all big check marks for the 5.56 rifle, but once you start shooting the rifles, especially north of 600-700yds, the .308 Recce shines big time from what I've been finding thus far.
    Same conclusion for me.

Feedback Score
    i'm curious about that. for a while i really wanted one of the 16" KAC EMC. i haven't owned a 16" 308 AR yet, and only shot some friends' a few times. conceptually, i thought it would be a winner. but i eventually decided to stick with 223 since i was so heavily invested in that ammo already and it would just cost too much for me to switch to 308.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt;1231038[COLOR="Red"
    ]Good shooting Trident. That throws some egg in the face of people who say the .223/5.56 cant shoot out to 1000 yards accurately.[/COLOR] Not that Im saying its the best round for that, especially if there is any wind.

My next build is going to be a clone of my M16-SDMR I carried in 05. Maybe I can throw another contender in the mix?

Obviously I would need to get some different glass for the long range stuff.
    One of the guys I shoot with won our state F-class championship with a .223 in 2008.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Trident,

Choosing between a 5.56 and a 7.62 really goes back to a METT-T analysis -- what is the enemy most likely to do and what is his most dangerous course of action?

Between a standard carbine, a recce, an SPR, or a 7.62 there really isn't a whole lot of difference. SPRs were built on leftover A1 lowers with fixed buttstocks -- simply because that was what the Navy (Crane) had in storage off the shelf. Nobody disputes that a collapsible stock isn't more user friendly for fit.

5.56 trumps the 7.62 for weight and number of rounds, pound-for-pound. 7.62 has kinetic ass and slightly better wind-bucking ability at 300 yards and beyond. You can simply put out more 5.56, faster. If you're humping up and down mountains between 6,000 and 12,000 feet MSL you'll probably want something easy to carry and swing.

The attached photo shows two carbines fairly close in physical size (7.62 on top, mid-length 5.56 below). Both have 16-inch barrels, both have the same 3-9X magnification. You may carry (on average) seven 5.56 mags or five 7.62 mags, plus all your other mission equipment.

If you're just doing presence (i.e., "Please blow me up") patrols vice deliberate hunter-killer or raid missions the average unit and Joe should base load on probability of contact.

Where you are in your experience time line you are now comfortable and convinced you can consistently hit man-sized targets at 600 yards -- a chip shot. If you were a Joe on a small team you are now (by default, training, and experience) the team's sharpshooter, regardless of pay grade or position. That's usually how it happens when they need someone who no-kidding can shoot the Hajji with the PKM shooting exposed from the next ridge line.

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435