Thread: Steel Target Safety

Feedback Score

Steel Target Safety

Gents,
    Looking to find a reference for steel target safe use range. There is a thread that is a couple of years old with some good info, but is there documentation anywhere that could be considered a source? My research only turns up various shooting range SOPs that are inconsistent at best. I have seen everything from "10 yds pistol/ 50 yds rifle" to "75yds for any steel" to "100 yds for rifle". Just looking for a rule of thumb or general guidelines.

Stripping away other assumptions (type of steel for the target, steel core ammo, downward angle of target etc) can anyone point me in the direction of a reputable source that documents general guidelines for the safety standoff from steel targets? (For centerfire rifle and pistol).

Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian View Post
    Gents,
    Looking to find a reference for steel target safe use range. There is a thread that is a couple of years old with some good info, but is there documentation anywhere that could be considered a source? My research only turns up various shooting range SOPs that are inconsistent at best. I have seen everything from "10 yds pistol/ 50 yds rifle" to "75yds for any steel" to "100 yds for rifle". Just looking for a rule of thumb or general guidelines.

Stripping away other assumptions (type of steel for the target, steel core ammo, downward angle of target etc) can anyone point me in the direction of a reputable source that documents general guidelines for the safety standoff from steel targets? (For centerfire rifle and pistol).

Thanks
    I use AR500 steel, with any ammo except 855. The closest I will shoot it is 75 yds on the rifle bay, and 10 yards on the pistol bay. I hang my steel with grade 8 bolts and attache the chain directly to the bolt. I can adjust the down angle using this attachment method by loosening the nut a few turns.
    Last edited by The_Count; 05-13-11 at 08:52.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Count View Post
    I use AR500 steel, with any ammo except 855. The closest I will shoot it is 75 yds on the rifle bay, and 10 yards on the pistol bay. I hang my steel with grade 8 bolts and attache the chain directly to the bolt. I can adjust the down using this attachment method by loosening the nut a few turns.
    He was asking for a source.... not personal policies. And AR500 isn't phased by 855.

There is so much BS surrounding shooting steel, I'm not surprised that you have huge variances in SOPs. This is almost like asking WHAT LUBE for the AR or How do you clean the AR??
    Last edited by markm; 05-13-11 at 08:40.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    look at the national institue of justice web page I have no clue if they will have anything like this or maybe the NRA. I know when I bought mine they came with a manufacture suggested min safe distance printed on stickers on the back.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    He was asking for a source.... not personal policies. And AR500 isn't phased by 855.

There is so much BS surrounding shooting steel, I'm not surprised that you have huge variances in SOPs. This is almost like asking WHAT LUBE for the AR or How do you clean the AR??
    Thanks for your input.

OP, I gave a personal SOP because there doesn't seem to be a definitive source for the information. Most manufacturers of the steel plates and/or static/reactive targets err on the far side of caution. There are a lot of variables involved in setting up a plate for "Close" range use (Range turf, slope..etc). GSSF has steel challenges with pistol targets as close as 5 yds. Info can be found at gssfonline.com.

Here is one reference I found: http://www.actiontarget.com/pdf/pt_S...urce_Guide.pdf
    Last edited by The_Count; 05-13-11 at 09:36.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    IMHO the advice usually given about shooting is heavily influenced by liability concerns. I have found that steel target mfgrs tend to err pretty far over on the side of caution in their distance recommendations.

Feedback Score
    Give Travis a call at MGM targets. As a mfg & a shooter, he'll either have the info you need or know where to get it.