Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Larry Vickers Tactical Arms on the Remington 870

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556A2 View Post
    If so, in full respect I totally disagree with Mr. Vickers. The last thing a defensive shotgun needs is 4lbs of shit bolted on to it. A correct fitting stock, sling, and side-saddle are the only thing a shotgun needs (Maybe a light too).
    I taped it so I will rewatch it before being more specific since I might not remember it correctly. But I think what you said the shotgun needs--if that much, perhaps in addition to a one or two round magazine extension that does not extend beyond the end of the barrel, is what Larry meant.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    I taped it so I will rewatch it before being more specific since I might not remember it correctly. But I think what you said the shotgun needs--if that much, perhaps in addition to a one or two round magazine extension that does not extend beyond the end of the barrel, is what Larry meant.
    Ahhhh, if that is the case, then I'm in total agreement.

Just seeing tons of junk bolted on to countless pumps over the years, I'm really more of a KISS person when it comes to the shotgun.

I was having a really hard time imagining that Mr. Vickers would advocate dragging a 870 through a Tapco catalog.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Okay. I rewatched the shotgun episode. In it Vickers picked up a pbasic Remington 870 with what appeared to be an 18.5" barrel with bead sight and plastic forearm and stock and said, "Leave the palne jane model for duckhunting with your dad," or something to that effect.

In his view for fighting purposes a shotgun needs: good set of sights, asidesaddle, a white light, & a sling. He was using ghost rings because he was also using the shotguns for slugs at ranges from 25 yards on.

He specifically used the word fighting shotgun, as opposed to a home defense shotgun where the greatest distance inside your house might be 30 feet.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    I just built a nasty 870 with the knox /blackhawk stock set, +5 shell extension, running a 20 in barrel shoots smooooth
    Pictures?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556A2 View Post
    Breaking from the thread's hijack over copyright........

I'm ASSUMING that is a quote from the episode regarding a defensive 870? I don't know because I have not seen it.

If so, in full respect I totally disagree with Mr. Vickers. The last thing a defensive shotgun needs is 4lbs of shit bolted on to it. A correct fitting stock, sling, and side-saddle are the only thing a shotgun needs (Maybe a light too).

The whole concept of turning a shotgun into a carbine is ludicrous. A shotgun is a short-range weapon, and will never fill the void of a carbine. Even running slugs & Flite-Control, it lacks the precision of a AKM, let alone a AR-15.

Just my opinion from shooting shotguns for years. I have in no way the respect, credentials, or form that Mr. Vickers has. I've just seen way too many 870/500/590/1300 shotguns that are pimped out with stuff that offers no real advantage except making a heavy weapon slower & heavier.

Just my $.02
    I watch the show when its on because LAV is entertaining and I always learn something I didn't know.

FWIW, I believe the theme of the show is to demonstrate military applications of the subject matter not HD. I came away with the impression that was the way he would run the gun in a combat scenario. I could be wrong.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    FWIW, I believe the theme of the show is to demonstrate military applications of the subject matter not HD. I came away with the impression that was the way he would run the gun in a combat scenario. I could be wrong.
    No, you are right.

While you might not need the ghost ring sights if you were using the shotgun strictlyfor buckshot for home defense where you max distance might be 30-40 feet, it still makes sense to have a front sight you can easily pick up over the factory bead sight--something like an XS tritium big dot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12