Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A little cleaning advice needed

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Just curious, what are some of the names of the non-chlorinated brake cleaners you're using?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    With a bit of looking around I can often times find brake cleaner for $1.50-1.99 per can at Walmart and the local auto parts stores.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post

Just curious, what are some of the names of the non-chlorinated brake cleaners you're using?

Thanks.

ANY brand of non chlorinated brake cleaner will work, it doesn't have to be brand specific.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

-Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If fumes bother you then you could try Break Free powder blast. It has a nice citrus smell and works well but cost a lot more.

I just use the cheep stuff from Wal Mart. Use it outside, make sure to where rubber gloves and eye pro.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    I feel sorry for the very new folks around here looking to learn about these matters, given how cool it's become to recommend not cleaning your weapon.

Obviously don't clean your rifle when you are potentially going to need it to be ready to fire, or even in the field...however, when time permits, a proper light cleaning that doesn't even involve but 5-10mins of actual work should be done imho if I even need to say that. Don't clean your gun and it will fail.....how many rds, nobody knows, so why not take a little preventative maintenance to ensure your weapon's reliability and overall longevity.
    I think there are folks who hear the word "cleaning" when it comes to firearms and have flashbacks to when that meant detail stripping the weapon and getting it ready for a white glove inspection. Those folks are right, that level of attention simply isn't needed to keep an AR running in tip-top condition.

Occasionally, I will detail strip a firearm and give it a thorough cleaning so that I can inspect it for wear, broken parts or any other anomalies. Otherwise, I just run a snake through the bore a few times, clean the majority of the muck out of the works, inspect and lube it. I also like taking things apart, working on them and putting them back together, even if it's just to get a better understanding how they work
    Last edited by MistWolf; 05-16-11 at 19:14.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Non Chlorinated Brake Cleaner question:

Do you have to worry about it hurting the plastic parts like the stock or pistol grip?

Is it advised to just follow up with CLP or some other lube after?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why non-chlorinated solvent? Chlorinated solvents may be destructive to plastics, any other reason?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Chlorine can promote corrosion of aluminum
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    Why non-chlorinated solvent? Chlorinated solvents may be destructive to plastics, any other reason?
    Safer to use.

http://www.worker-health.org/chlorinatedsolvents.html

Chlorinated solvents can leave the body through exhalation and/or urination. Exposures can lead to short-term or long-term health effects, depending on the manner by which they entered your body and the amount of exposure. Short-term side effects may include dizziness, fatigue, headaches, and/or skin rashes. Long-term side effects may include chronic skin problems, and/or damage to the nervous system, kidneys, or liver. Some chlorinated solvents are also known to cause cancer, in both humans and animals.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    Yes you should clean the inside of your weapon thoroughly. the reason is if your weapon is really clean to begin with it will run longer in adverse conditions. also when you are cleaning your weapon you should be checking it for broken parts.
    I have ran my M4 to 964 rounds without cleaning or re-lubing. Just because your M4 can be run like a raped ape does not mean you should treat it like one.
    This whole "ya don't have to clean your gun" crap is setting a bad example for young shooters and soldiers.
    Normally I use hoppe's elite gun cleaner, Q-tips, tooth brush, something to scrape carbon with and a bore snake.
    Last edited by abn45bravo; 05-16-11 at 22:50.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast