Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking my first carbine course ... looking for some gear pointers.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Thanks for all the info guys. Im certainly not scared off by a little yelling. I do actually find I work well under pressure. I learned that in college with paper deadlines. Im going to contact the instructor.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another thing, if you have the means, bring an alternative way to carry gear.

My first rifle class, I brought a load bearing vest with a bunch of crap on it. By the second drill it had come off. I brought a drop leg panel with a kangaroo pouch and it made my day a hell of a lot more pleasant. I am just too fat to run a chest rig comfortably so I am glad I brought the extra gear just in case.

There is a huge thread about this topic, read it, and LISTEN to what these guys have to say.

Also, if you **** up and the instructor jumps on your ass for it, do NOT let it get to you. It happened to a friend of mine at a class last month. We were on the line and he covered me accidently and the instructor pulled him aside and the rest of the day, he was fumbling because he was nervous or something.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Lots of good info in the thread. Quality ammo, mags, electronic hearing protection and gloves are defenitiely key. I see a lot of people running a chest rig for a class but will likely never run a chest rig in the "real world". Food for thought. GOOD ON YOU for getting training!!!

Below is an excerpt of an AAR I wrote for a class.

" My set up was a bit unconventional but it worked. I used a Wilderness 5 stitch belt as an underbelt and attached my Maxpedition Rolly Polly as a dump pouch. I then used another five stitch belt over the first and attached a double 1911 mag carrier on the left, three kydex AR mag pouches up front from the left moving to center line, and my Blade Tech holster on the right side. I was able to loop the second belt through some of my pant belt loops and I attached the belts together with four belt keepers. I put a Blade tech AR pouch with tech lock behind my back so I always had a total of 5 mags with me on the line. The set up was stable and worked well. I figured that putting my rifle mag pouches on my belt line would work as I already have many repetitions going to the belt line for my pistol mags. In the future I would probably add some suspenders just to get a bit of weight of my waist and lower back."

Be safe and well,

davd
    www.vcdgrips.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My approach was to keep things simple. Since I'm a civi I saw no need to get all geared up with too much stuff since I'll most likely never need all of it. My gear for classes or local Multi Gun Matches is the same:

- Reliable Rifle with Sling and at least 10 mags
    - Reliable Pistol in Belt Mounted Retention Holster and at least 5 mags
    - 2 Belt Mounted Pistol Mags in Kytex Mag Holders
    - 1to 3 Belt Mounted Rifle Mags in Kytex Mag Holders
    - Appropriate Clothing & GOOD Footwear
    - Appropriate Safety Gear to include clear and tinted Safety Glasses and Electronic Ear Pro
    - Spare batteries for everything!
    - I also take a spare BCG and a few other spare parts or back up rifle/pistol
    - Snacks and Fluids to keep you fueled
    - Foldable chair in case no seating is available
    - Extra ammo over what is required
    Last edited by wahoo95; 05-16-11 at 14:02.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dojpros View Post
    Lots of good info in the thread. Quality ammo, mags, electronic hearing protection and gloves are defenitiely key. I see a lot of people running a chest rig for a class but will likely never run a chest rig in the "real world". Food for thought. GOOD ON YOU for getting training!!!

Below is an excerpt of an AAR I wrote for a class.

" My set up was a bit unconventional but it worked. I used a Wilderness 5 stitch belt as an underbelt and attached my Maxpedition Rolly Polly as a dump pouch. I then used another five stitch belt over the first and attached a double 1911 mag carrier on the left, three kydex AR mag pouches up front from the left moving to center line, and my Blade Tech holster on the right side. I was able to loop the second belt through some of my pant belt loops and I attached the belts together with four belt keepers. I put a Blade tech AR pouch with tech lock behind my back so I always had a total of 5 mags with me on the line. The set up was stable and worked well. I figured that putting my rifle mag pouches on my belt line would work as I already have many repetitions going to the belt line for my pistol mags. In the future I would probably add some suspenders just to get a bit of weight of my waist and lower back."

Be safe and well,

davd
    www.vcdgrips.com
    Wouldnt one be just as likely to throw on a chest rig as a war belt if a situation arose which required that type of force?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

Unless you're training in the Sahara, I'd leave the Camelbak with your other stuff that you'll leave in the rear. You'll get enough breaks to hydrate. It'll just weigh you down and tire you out.

I find a dump pouch helpful (carry mags, loose rounds, notebook and pen).

Some tips that may or may not have been mentioned:

1) Get a silver sharpie and mark your mags with your initials. Number each mag uniquely. If you're dropping mags on the ground, you'll know which one is yours. If one shits the bed, you'll know which # mag to discard.

2) Long-sleeve t-shirt and a scarf. Hot brass burns on your arms and down your neck ... suck.

3) Unpack your ammo into a GI ammo can. Don't waste valuable time and energy fumbling with box packaged ammo.

4) Whatever gear you have, try it on and make sure if fits BEFORE getting to the class. Time spent fumbling on the line is time wasted.

Have fun.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Aveisone,

For me, quite frankly, I would probably have just have the one in the gun and the one, rubber banded on the stock as that is the way I am most likely to be "fighting" with it if I heard a bump in the night or out of the trunk on a road trip. If I knew I needed four+ mags in a chest rig/plate carrier before hand, that is a fight I would likely be avoiding by simply not being there.

My point was that is you were already used to going to the beltline for your pistol reload, doing the same for a rifle reload v. going to a vest made more sense. Therefore, I ginned up a "warbelt" for purposes of the class becuase that was most like what I was already doing re my pistol. For me, I know I fought my gear much less by going to the belt line v a chest rig in my first carbine class. I was certainly much faster than those of my same experience level who were using chest rigs.

YMMV
    David
    Last edited by dojpros; 05-16-11 at 15:40.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Never been to a class where the students were rode so hard and long that they couldn't step away from the line every hour or so to piss, fill mags, or drink/eat something.

If someone does that in an intro class, please let me know guys (so I can avoid it.)

I keep a bottle of gatoraid/water next to my range bag for every class I've taken, and never had an issue.

Follow the instructors recommendations, and run your stuff that way it makes sense for you. I'd rather pile mags on the ground next to me and run them out of a belt pouch than jock up with a chest rig full of stuff I'm never going to shoot with unless the Russians invade.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    I'd rather pile mags on the ground next to me and run them out of a belt pouch than jock up with a chest rig full of stuff I'm never going to shoot with unless the Russians invade.
    This is just ridiculous. If used properly the chest rig can function just like the pile of mags on the ground except that you can take it with you as the line moves, backfeed without bending over, hold other small training-only items like a multitool or some lube, and isn't left around on the ground for you or someone else to trip over.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This is just ridiculous. If used properly the chest rig can function just like the pile of mags on the ground except that you can take it with you as the line moves, backfeed without bending over, hold other small training-only items like a multitool or some lube, and isn't left around on the ground for you or someone else to trip over.
    If you say so.

I guess it's cool to toss empty mags on the ground, just not loaded ones.

Not every drill in a class involves movement...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast