View Poll Results: Optic, now or later?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy it now, start practicing with both optics and irons

102 75.56%
  • Wait until you get formal training

33 24.44%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Barely know how to shoot an AR15, should I buy an optic regardless?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't even have to take markm off of ignore to predict what his post consists of...
    • disparaging remarks about Pat Rogers
    • more admonishments to avoid optics
    • no factual, beneficial, or supportive data

How'd I do?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Here's what most people do when they get an AR and they're new to the thing... or new to guns period.

BOLT a bunch of shit to the gun rather than figure how to use what they have. Just because Pat Rogers gets kick backs to tell you that YOU NEED to have a Red Dot, doesn't make it so.
    Why don't you quit with the drive by's on Pat Rogers? Have you even met the man? Kick back's, really? Can you prove that?

Now, how about answering the question? What advantage do iron sights have in teh real world?

I suppose the Army is getting kcikbacks also?

Bob
    " Some people say..any tactic that works is a good tactic,...I say, anything can work once" former ABQ swat Sgt.

Feedback Score
    If this is your primary HD weapon I'd go with the optic. Iron sights are great for learning marksmanship fundamentals but as others have said Marksmanship and CQB are not the same thing.
    When you are defending your home and family at 3AM some day, I guarantee you will not be thinking "breath,relax,aim,sight,squeeze". It will go more like "bad guy Bang!" If you are lucky you may have time to reference the front sight tower or red dot, but at in home ranges natural point of aim is going to be a big part of getting rounds on target. RDS are better equipped for that kind of shooting.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Here's what most people do when they get an AR and they're new to the thing... or new to guns period.

BOLT a bunch of shit to the gun rather than figure how to use what they have. Just because Pat Rogers gets kick backs to tell you that YOU NEED to have a Red Dot, doesn't make it so.
    You are walking a very fine line thats probably NOT worth the jabs in the long run... Unless you have hard evidence of the above, it would be very wise to cease and desist from further comments in an open forum where you could be held liable for your words.

Do as you wish but be aware that you are walking a tight rope, not to mention its a bit grade school and diminishes your credibility in other areas.

And FWIW I have never trained with Pat but I hope to at some point down the road when time permits.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    diminishes your credibility in other areas.
    there's a number less than zero?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I don't even have to take markm off of ignore to predict what his post consists of...
    • disparaging remarks about Pat Rogers
    • more admonishments to avoid optics
    • no factual, beneficial, or supportive data

How'd I do?
    Verbatim. Wow. Still, I enjoy markm's posts. He's funny.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

-C S Lewis

Feedback Score
    I mean, why deprive yourself the opportunity to train with an RDS? You sound like you pretty much have the fundamentals down.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If he is lacking the fundamentals, and it sounds to me like he probably is, the sighting system he uses to learn then is unlikely to matter. The key is to get some quality training with a good instructor.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RTA View Post
    Yeah, learning fundamentals before adding performance enhancers is completely unrelated to this thread. Hey guys, I plan on starting a weight lifting program soon. What kind of 'roids should I use with my first cycle? I want to be really strong.
    I think someone is missing the point entirely.

Since when is a RDS a "performance enhancer" and not a basic piece of equipment for a fighting rifle?
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

And of course Pat Rogers is the only instructor out there who advocates Red Dot Optics, isn't he?

It's not like the US Army Uses them.

Oh, wait, they do and have ordered or bought over a million variations fo the Aimpoints.

Well, anyway, it's not like any Special Ops groups use RDS.

Oh, wait, they were among the first users for the obvious advantages that RDS provide.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast