Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: HPT and MPI: still viable and necessary or outdated bureaucracy?

Feedback Score
    While IMHO i am on the fence on this subject I tend to lean towards rsilvers side and heres why.... HPT/MPI does keep a company honest and at least set some sort of minimum bar. However on that note I think the likes of DD/Knights/BCM/ECT companies that have stood the true test of end user critique... Which at the end of the day really really matters. Not so much from first time AR owners that swear by their deltons (although Delton serves its purpose as well) but by veteran owners with multiples. If the majority says that DD/Whatever Bolts are the shit because they have had a few they probably are right HPT/MPI or not. I have no engineering experience tho so my opinion may not matter much. I do know as I have ok welding experience that we have come along way since Mil Spec metalurgical standards.
    "I know enough about a lot but enough to get me in trouble none the less." Me

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

Believe me, I know about not doing the "popular thing." Be a gear and gun dealer, go onto a tactical gun forum and tell folks to STOP buying crap they don't need.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyboy333 View Post
    With that said, I'm still going to buy the MPI parts but not because of the MPI. It just seems if a company MPI's their also doing things right that actually matter. I stated in a thread last year that I would rather have a bolt from BCM/DD that wasn't HP/MPI'd and I'm pretty sure I caught he'll for it.
    Agreed, I think this is the bottom line.

I see and understand many of the points made here but in the everyday application I think that the majority of companies that skip this are also taking short cuts in other areas of material and quality. Of course there appears to be a few exceptions such as KAC and AAC. Good thread guys.

Feedback Score
    I was thinking the same thing as 120mm with regards to X-ray.

No I am not an engineer. My dad did nuke stuff, which is where what tiny bit of info would come from. I do realize though that x-ray is used quite often in such realms. It is also used on bridges and all sorts of other things, if what I see on television is true.

So why not set up x-ray machines?

I am just curious.
    Member of the JPFO, NRA, and TSRA!

Feedback Score
    FWIW, on Memorial Day I met one of the guys from POF at a friends house. We discussed HPT and MPI testing of bolts. He told me they have never had a bolt fail and they test every bolt. He believes the $1.47 they spend on each bolt to test them, or whatever price he mentioned, is worth it to him for peace of mind.

I think it is very telling that they have never had a part fail the test. As I stated before, HPT/MPI testing has never been a deal breaker for me when buying a bolt.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by az doug View Post
    FWIW, on Memorial Day I met one of the guys from POF at a friends house. We discussed HPT and MPI testing of bolts. He told me they have never had a bolt fail and they test every bolt. He believes the $1.47 they spend on each bolt to test them, or whatever price he mentioned, is worth it to him for peace of mind.

I think it is very telling that they have never had a part fail the test. As I stated before, HPT/MPI testing has never been a deal breaker for me when buying a bolt.
    Thanks for the info.....I was told the same by DD.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by az doug View Post
    ...POF ... told me they have never had a bolt fail ....
    ===============================

Noveske told me the same thing and they do not HPT their Bolts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post
    ===============================

Noveske told me the same thing and they do not HPT their Bolts.

I'm no expert but if you don't HPT your bolts you would have much less if not any chance in the MPI catching and failing a bolt.

Edit: maybe you meant that they never had a bolt fail "in use". If that's the case ignore what I said. Ha
    Last edited by Dirtyboy333; 06-06-11 at 02:43.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyboy333 View Post
    I'm no expert but if you don't HPT your bolts you would have much less if not any chance in the MPI catching and failing a bolt.

Edit: maybe you meant that they never had a bolt fail "in use". If that's the case ignore what I said. Ha
    ==================================

In the old Chart, Noveske was listed as doing an MPI and not HPT'ing.

From my limited exposure to MPI, it can reveal voids, cracks, and imperfections just below the surface. BUT diagnosing the problem is "operator" dependent.
    Maybe that is Noveske's intent, to do a better inspection than the naked eye yet not expose the Bolt to a destructive test (HPT).

I think Noveske's reputation stands on it own, so if they figured out a "better" way to do things...great!

But maybe it's just me...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post
    ==================================

In the old Chart, Noveske was listed as doing an MPI and not HPT'ing.

From my limited exposure to MPI, it can reveal voids, cracks, and imperfections just below the surface. BUT diagnosing the problem is "operator" dependent.
    Maybe that is Noveske's intent, to do a better inspection than the naked eye yet not expose the Bolt to a destructive test (HPT).

I think Noveske's reputation stands on it own, so if they figured out a "better" way to do things...great!

But maybe it's just me...

Oh ok..... I see what you mean. Actually i like that process.
    Last edited by Dirtyboy333; 06-06-11 at 21:28.

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940