Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why doesn't anyone VIDEO all these excellent classes I read about here???

Feedback Score
    Hootie,

For some of the reasons you cite, we have 16 digital video cameras running at all times at VTC in the mazes and the square range to replay specific incidents. We run specific higher quality vid for thing s we know that we are going to debrief (I have hundreds of mini-DV tapes in archive over the past 8 years or so of video in this manner) and, of course, bring in professional crews for TV and DVD projects.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ha.. I got video of me doing some drills in one of Pat's classes....

But like Cpt Miller said in Saving Pvt Ryan..." I keep that one for myself"

You want to use video.. video tape yourself doing drills.. then use it as a learning tool to see if your doing it right... watching me "F*&^ Up" one of Pat's drill is not going to make you better... (Just make you feel better about yourself..)

Feedback Score
    I barely have time to scribble notes of what we are doing in the class in between rotations to shoot muchless shoot video of the class. Yeah, I will say that video is a great course seller, but, its hard to take notes, slam water, load mags, and snap a few pics...
    video... is hard to sqeeze in there.

However, I will say that video is a great teaching tool. Often when you tell a student he does/did something, they may become defensive or not quite understand what you are meaning. Video takes all that out and its clear in living color. Paul Howe uses video to point out what the student does and then demonstrates how to correct it.

Anyone else?

Y-

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Occasionally we'd have a student bring his spouse along and video taped a large portions of many drills that we shoot during our Hackathorn and LAV classes. But the video is for our own consumption only.

Bulldog1967 Guest
    Training Videos CAN be useful, if done RIGHT.

I am a professional video producer/editor by trade, and have produced commercials/politicals/ AND training videos.

Recording a class with a video camera isn't making a "training video", its documenting it.

Recording a proper training video involves planning, scripting, proper lighting and excellent audio. In all my years of watching others examples of firearms "training videos" I have yet to see a proper example of all of these required elements come together. It requires time, money, and the technical know how.

Anyone who thinks they can go down to the local circuit city, buy a digital video camera, and produce a proper training video is fooling themselves.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1967 View Post
    Training Videos CAN be useful, if done RIGHT.

I am a professional video producer/editor by trade, and have produced commercials/politicals/ AND training videos.

Recording a class with a video camera isn't making a "training video", its documenting it.

Recording a proper training video involves planning, scripting, proper lighting and excellent audio. In all my years of watching others examples of firearms "training videos" I have yet to see a proper example of all of these required elements come together. It requires time, money, and the technical know how.

Anyone who thinks they can go down to the local circuit city, buy a digital video camera, and produce a proper training video is fooling themselves.

I'd have to argue with you on that one; I have made some great "training videos" before and they didn't involve planning, scripting, proper lighting, and excellent audio. At least all my buddies thought they were pretty good. It is amazing what you can do with a good tripod and a little alcohol.

Just kiddin..........

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    I would imagine that the hard-working fellas who put these courses on might be short-changed by having their training presented for free.

Agree (even for $30-$100).

C4

Feedback Score
    Lenny McGill has always offered the highest quality cutting edge videos.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin 1759

Feedback Score
    For those interested, I can offer this as an option:

I invite you to check the Combat Focus Podcast.... the second episode was just uploaded today. The Podcast features audio excerpts from courses.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I personally don't think that videotaping a lot of these courses would do it justice. If I were one of the instructors in question (alas, I am not ), I probably would not want to do this.

I have quite a few firearms training videos and I've only watched them once. I would say that what I've seen is not helpful for me not because of the content of the Instructors; but because a video cannot provide me with the feedback I need to perform some of these techniques properly.

IMHO, learning a particular technique improperly in the first place is much less desirable than not learning them at all (until I can attend the actual class, anyway). JM2CWYMMV.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234