Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasonably affordable Precision Barrel?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Reasonably affordable Precision Barrel?

Looking at the BCM 20" SS barrel thread made me think I could build a nice, accurate rifle for not a lot of coin (I already have most of the other parts needed). I mentioned this to my gun plumber and he said the Lothar Walther barrels can be had with a matched bolt and are very reasonable in price.

I'm not willing to spend top dollar for a Krieger or other ultimate barrel but don't want to give up accuracy or quality for want of a few dollars either.

what seems to be the best balance of function and value out there?
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have been looking around for a barrel to. Im just not sure what to get either. I have Lilja, Blackstar, Brux, Kreger on my bolt guns but the AR barrels seam to differ for some reason. Im with you as I dont want to spend that much. I was looking at the white oak website last night they have a good rep and a decent price on their barrels, others under consideration are Saturn and Hart(or NY).

Jon

What are you building? Its a toss up for me right now between 30 AR and 6.5 LBC
    Last edited by ICANHITHIMMAN; 05-19-11 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Little Crow Gun Works carries LW barrels. I ordered mine from them and I was very satisfied with their customer service during the transaction. I have a little over 300 rounds through my LW barrel and it shoots consistent even when it get too warm to touch comfortably. Barrel is "20" S.S.(LW-50)barrel with 1 in 8" twist (55gr-80gr bullets), complete with match headspaced bolt assembly. .223 Wylde chamber. Rifle length gas system, M-4 barrel extension, .750 gas block boss, .740 muzzle dia.,1/2"X28tpi thread."

Here is a link to the Gunbroker ad Little Crow is currently running
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=231004154
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Rainier Arms has some pretty decently priced barrels. They're Shillen blanks I believe

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=2690

This is less than half the cost of the Noveske of the same length (at least with my mil discount. Not sure what its regular price is)

Aw, I didn't read enough. You said BCM, so 556. Still, Rainier makes 556 too
    http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...ls_rainierarms
    ...sold out :/

Second edit: I cant believe how cheap that Rainier 18" 308 barrel is lol
    Last edited by caelumatra; 05-19-11 at 16:21.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I always thought that all quality precision barrels are actually a pretty inexpensive component, typically ranging from $300-500. My BCM SS410 is extremely accurate, so too my Lothar Walther LW50.

When you consider the price of match ammunition, and quality glass, the barrel will be the cheapest thing you buy...

Cameron

Feedback Score
    add White Oak Armory to the list
    Noveske as well

I have an upper coming in from PRI tomorrow with a Douglass 1 in 8 18" SPR profile barrel, I expect it to be a tack driver

Wilson Combat offers a 20" fluted stainless for about 300
    I have a 18" 6.8 upper from them that's an absolute tack driver

if you want a lighter weight 16", Nordic Components has a 1 in 8 Lilja for under 300 shipped with gas tube, reportedly very accurate
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    thanks for the replies, guys. I was all set to spend on the BCM but my gunsmith specifically recommended LW with their matched bolt.

how important is this matched bolt thing?

one further question - the upper receiver I was planning on using is just a standard receiver. I was wondering if I hang a longer fatter barrel on it, would it be better if I went with one of the beefed up receivers like the MUR?
    Last edited by ra2bach; 05-20-11 at 20:05.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am not sure how important the matched bolt is. By all accounts, there are some very accurate rifles that have been built with drop in bolts. One fellow stated his LW barreled rifle was more accurate with the matched bolt than it was with a drop in bolt. I looked at it like this- The LW barrel was $325 delivered (they've gone up a bit since) and it came with a bolt. If bolts cost $50, I got a precision stainless steel barrel for $275
    Last edited by MistWolf; 05-20-11 at 21:16.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I am not sure how important the matched bolt is. By all accounts, there are some very accurate rifles that have been built with drop in bolts. One fellow stated his LW barreled rifle was more accurate with the matched bolt than it was with a drop in bolt. I looked at it like this- The LW barrel was $325 delivered (they've gone up a bit since) and it came with a bolt. If bolts cost $50, I got a precision stainless steel barrel for $275
    yeah, I hadn't really looked at it that way. and the LW barrels do seem to have a good reputation.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    thanks for the replies, guys. I was all set to spend on the BCM but my gunsmith specifically recommended LW with their matched bolt.

how important is this matched bolt thing?

one further question - the upper receiver I was planning on using is just a standard receiver. I was wondering if I hang a longer fatter barrel on it, would it be better if I went with one of the beefed up receivers like the MUR?
    I have two precision rigs with standard receivers that shoot sub MOA so I am not sure of the advantage on a "beefed up" upper.

Hopefully I can be some help as I actually have a Lothar Walther LW50 with a hand matched bolt (built as an in-house custom Recce by Daniel Defense) and a BCM SS410 that I matched a bolt to myself, as I had 3 BCM BCGs and tried each bolt for the best fit. Interestingly the bolt that fit the best was the one the good folks at BCM sent with the SPR upper... The reality is that they both will shoot sub MOA with match ammo, actually 0.5 MOA if the shooter and the conditions are good.

I think both rifles or barrels are great, the DD Recce LW50 barrel by Lothar Walther or the BCM SS410 barrel by Kreiger you cant go wrong. I just think Bravo is a great company to deal with so my next will be through them.

Photo so you know I'm not making shit up...

BCM SPR & DD Recce
    Last edited by Cameron; 05-20-11 at 21:35.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast