Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saiga-12, good gun?

Feedback Score

Saiga-12, good gun?

I posted this on a shotgun website a couple of days ago and I got only 1 response. It was a very positive response. I'm looking to get a Saiga 12ga, with NJ compliant hunting stock. I have a WInchester 120, Rem 870, Mossberg 590 and Mossberg 930 (semi auto). Is the Saiga at least as reliable as my Mossberg 930, which is very reliable? I know they are popular but I haven't looked into them till now, and reliability is my number 1 concern. No use having a semi auto if it's gonna jam on you.

Thanks for your help.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had one but sold it ,I had it for about 8 years never once gave me a problem.
    the only thing I did not like is the mag swap under movement ,it took a little to get use to.I sold it and went back to the 870 tactical .I can load it faster.
    It was a fun weapon to blast and the on lookers always amazed ,But for me it did not fit my needs in a defense shotgun .

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    Did it go through diff types of ammo reliably like 00 buck and light birdshot? I think it has an adjustment for light and heavy loads, right?

If the mag works like on the Saiga 7.62x39 rifle then I see why that would be a challenge. I always gotta align my Saiga rifle mag just right for it to click in correctly. Thanks.
    Last edited by Redline; 05-19-11 at 22:40.

Feedback Score
    If you didn't happen to get a Vodka special yes they will eat most ammo. There was a run of shotguns that had misaligned gas ports that was giving guys fits but if you send it back to one of the factory certified shops they will take care of that issue under warranty. They also use different gas port configurations and sizes as well as how many ports they actually have. Some have 2 ports that are quite large other have 3 ports of medium size (mine is this way) and then they had 4 port guns with small ports. If everything is lined up correctly all seem to shoot equally well. Loading can be a bit tricky but you can get used to it. There are several companies making gas plugs that are very adjustable and bolt polishing makes a big difference. I love mine it's a hoot to shoot. I happen to live in Michigan so I can play with my 20 round drum mags for fun but man it eats ammo quick. I would suggest you try forum.saiga-12.com for alot of info. But just as it is here read the sticky's and try the search before asking alot of questions or you might get reprimanded quickly. There are even guys making a LRBHO which makes the mag changes easier as you're not compressing the mag springs with the first shell hitting the bolt. On your Saiga rifle are you using surplus mags or mags made specifically for the Saiga? Could be part of your problem changing mags. Surplus mags take some filing to the mag release and the mag itself to work smoothly.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Some are reliable, some need work. I've purchased two. The first was converted when I bought it. It ran poorly for the first 100 or so rounds, then ran OK. It would benefit from a bolt polish and an MD Arms gas regulator. The second was as imported and ran right out of the box.

I would highly recommend reading the Siaga-12 forum before purchasing one.

Feedback Score
    It takes practice to be good at reloads, but once you're good your reloading is far faster than conventional shotgun reloading.

Mine has been reliable, just needed to be placed on gas setting 2 for some lighter birdshot loads. Not one hiccup outside of that, though I also recommend reading up on the Saiga 12 forums.

I've had mine for 4 years. Used it as imported for most of that time, did my own conversion later.

Feedback Score
    Really man just go to www.forum.saiga-12.com and you'll find everything you need to know. I have a quadrail on mine now but am seriously considering putting wood furniture on it as it's just too SEXY . Mine will dump the whole 5 round mag before the 2nd shell hits the ground (sometimes before the 1st one hits but I can't do it every time). If I could SBS it I would but we aren't allowed to do that in Michigan.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    They can be hit and miss. I had some serious gas issues with mine until I installed an aftermarket adjustable gas regulator.
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    I don't wanna roll the dice to see if I get a good one. My Mossberg 930 is very reliable. Maybe I should just leave it at that and save $800. Just curious, several people have mentioned that it cycles very fast. Is that something that is unique to this gun, or better on this gun than most? And why is that? Is it because the shell just travels up about an inch from the mag instead of backwards 2 3/4 inches from a mag tube on a conventional semi, therefore being in position to get chambered faster?
    Last edited by Redline; 05-20-11 at 22:45.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    I posted this on a shotgun website a couple of days ago and I got only 1 response. It was a very positive response. I'm looking to get a Saiga 12ga, with NJ compliant hunting stock. I have a WInchester 120, Rem 870, Mossberg 590 and Mossberg 930 (semi auto). Is the Saiga at least as reliable as my Mossberg 930, which is very reliable? I know they are popular but I haven't looked into them till now, and reliability is my number 1 concern. No use having a semi auto if it's gonna jam on you.

Thanks for your help.
    A properly set up Saiga 12 makes all other shotgun obsolete. By properly set up I mean with a mag well from R&R that allows you to reload as fast as an AR15. That and a good compensator and optic. But the down side a tricked out Saiga is expensive. I have 3k into mine from R&R targets. But there is simply no comparision with tube guns. I can reload a fresh 12 round mag in 3 seconds. To give you an idea at a recent three gun match on a stage with 15 targets I ran it in 10.6 or so seconds. The next fastest person (all using tube guns) was at 26 seconds.
    The biggest issue for reliablity with these guns when using bird shot is to use shells with good slick hulls like Winchester double AA's. I have never had an issue with slugs or buck either.

Here is mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh8QCaCQzy0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djh4dFWUCr0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrNftrfOiZ0
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 05-21-11 at 00:19.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast