Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to tell if a/your barrel likes certain ammo or not...?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtJ View Post
    Both 75gr and 60gr were blue box.

Barrel is a Kreiger from Compass Lake Engineering.

Optics, 6.5-20x50.

Shooting prone with bipod, nothing else.

_____

Will add more info sometime this week.

Trying 77gr SMK red box and added an accushot monopod, everything else will remain the same.
    Ok, we're on track here to dial in on the problem. I shoot a CLE service rifle, so I know that shouldn't be the problem. There is nothing wrong with the barrel either. The Black Hills ammo is good to go as well. Shooting from a bipod can be a but tricky if you aren't used to doing it. The rifle feels stable, but there is still some movement to the sights if you don't approach each shot the same way. It is possible that your natural wobble pattern is 'throwing' some shots to the left. I see it all the time and it's not uncommon. Another factor is as good as Black Hills is, it's a generic match load. It delivers sub 1.5 MOA from just about any rifle it's fired from. I can tell you from personal experience that once you find the 'magic' load for your barrel, a Krieger tube will deliver sub MOA all day, every day. You are clearly on the right track to accuracy nirvana, self improvement is the key.

Edited to say ra2bach is correct on the group size. Three rounds is for zeroing because that's the minimum you can fire and be able to triangulate from. For accuracy testing you need a minimum of five shots per group, for at least two groupings. Ten shots works better because most of your standard deviations will make themselves know in ten consecutive shots.
    Last edited by Sgt_Gold; 05-26-11 at 11:14. Reason: 'Cause I furgot somntin

Feedback Score
    Disclaimer: It seems the more I shoot, the more I realize I still need a lot of work/experience and skills to become a half decent sht.
    I am picking up on certain things I need to improve on. Today I noticed I am not placing my head at the same location every time... among a few other aspects of shooting on which I need to improve. Good thing is there is room for improvement.

Even with everything above in mind, i will say the rifle shoots better with the 77gr SMK, it feels much more consistent and manageable, if this makes any sense. Somehow it just does compared to the 75gr.

I even managed a 5 shot sub .5 MOA group but do not count it as i did not repeat it, could have been luck, etc...

Here is a 10 shot group which is at 1 MOA, which is kind of disappointing, i feel the rifle and ammo combo can do much better... it's confirmed I was the weak link today.

On a good note... I always get complemented on the rifle and everyone thinks it's a .308 for some reason or another. I guess i'll keep faking it till I make it...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    that's a good looking stick. maybe the FH is the reason most folks think it's a .308.

anyway, I try to console myself that theoretically at least, any shot within a 1" group, is only ever 1/2" away at most, from what I intended to hit...
    never push a wrench...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12