Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi-Auto Rimfire - What You Got?

Feedback Score

Semi-Auto Rimfire - What You Got?

Someone else started a thread for bolt rimfire, so I thought I would start one for semi-auto.

Myself I just got done building a .22lr. Will be taking it to the range soon to see how well it will do. While I did not build it to be a one hole five shot gun. I am hoping I can get some really good groupings with some decent ammo (just bought some CCI SV for a baseline then got their Greentag ammo, Wolf MT and Eley Tenex). I intend to shoot at 50yds.

I used:

-Tac-Sol Xring Receiver
    -Tac-Sol Fluted Threaded Barrel (will soon host a spectre)
    -Leupold 3x9x33 Rimfire Scope W/parallax adjustment
    -Burris Xtreme 1" Low Rings (yes a little much, but it is what the local shop had and they were pretty light weight)
    -Kidd Two Stage Trigger
    -Bell & Carlson Varmint Stock

Feedback Score
    all I have is a basic ruger 10/22 that I put a volquatzen hammer in and threw some tec-sights on. pretty accurate for a plinker. I'd like to do one or two ground-up 10/22 builds on aftermarket receivers.
    Last edited by bigghoss; 05-21-11 at 23:57.
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score

Smile

Ruger 10/22
    CZ 511
    Stevens 48A

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I had a Marlin 60 that was 40 years old. I also had a Ruger 10/22. HATED the Ruger except for the Butler Creek 25-round mags and their speedloader. The Marlin 60 shot circles around the 10/22 and could hold quarter-sized groups at 50 yards and was more reliable. But in all fairness the 10/22 I bought was a lemon and I regretted getting rid of the 60.

The Marlin was one of those guns that I buy and shoot. No tinkering or altering for me, the Marlin 60 was perfect.

I now have a Henry Lever Action 22 and it is one of my favorite rifles, it goes to the range EVERY TIME and when I take new people shooting they love it and don't want to put it down. But I still need a semi-auto 22 rifle to fill the gap so I may give the 10/22 another try later on if I'm inclined to customizing it otherwise the Marlin 60 beats it as far as accuracy out of the box, as well as price.

If this thread is oriented more towards precision rimfire then I apologize as I'm mostly chattering about fun plinkers at the range and not the custom accuracy-tuned rigs.
    Last edited by El Pistolero; 05-22-11 at 13:03.

Feedback Score
    I just acquired all the parts for my version of a precision 10/22. I'm running a factory action, GM fluted SS barrel, Hogue stock, Weigand 1 piece base/rings, Volq trigger kit, & a Burris E1 scope. For 50-100 yd paper punching it fits the bill & was cheap.

I also have 2 GSG's for the kids & a Feather Industries RAV-22. In the near future I plan on picking up a Savage MKIITR 22LR.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Payj,

I am interested to hear your opinion on the xring receiver. I remember lots of hype, then success mixed with disappointment and broken firing pins. Always wanted one bit other things came first.

I can also tell you that it's a bad idea to run .22 shorts in your tac sol barrel. I had a squib and bulged the barrel half way down using them. Still need to pick up another tac sol barrel....

My gun is a factory 10/22 with tac sol bbl, trigger and bolt work by CPC and a Boyds tacticool stock.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A 10-22 with a heavy barrel in a laminated stock. Box stock. I mounted a Leupold 6.5-20 EFR on it. Works good, no problems. I put a Spikes barrel in an LMT MRP rifle length upper. I shoot the snot out of this thing. I've got maybe 5K shots through it, haven't cleaned it yet. Probably should. Having read how everyone loves their Marlin Model 60s, I resolved to buy one but someone gave me one before I could. Haven't shot it yet.

Feedback Score
    bnanaphone,

The Xring is great! I have about 1000 rounds through it....Yes, the earlier version (some later versions like mine had the bad firing pin too) had firing pin issues. My gunsmith has a good relationship with tacsol, so he was able to steer me in the right direction. My receiver DID have the "bad" firing pin. My gunsmith put the "good" one in. Tacsol revised it. They gave my gunsmith about 50 new firing pins for his receivers.....Because he put the new pin in I have had 0 issues right from the start. Probably 4-5 fte's in 1000 rounds using cci sv and subsonic ammo. Not bad imo.

Shooting either CCI SV or Wolf MT I am shooting dime sized groups at 50yds. Pretty good for what it is....

Feedback Score
    I contemplated upgrading the 10/22 but I figured that I was able to get dime sized groups with the 40 gr Winchester hollowpoint subsonic round. All I had done was put a pillar in teh birch stock and play with pressure point on the barrel. I recently bought a Hogue nylon overmolded stock to make it more of a knock about gun, tired of dinging the wood up. I'll try and replicate what I did for accuaracy with the beech stock. The only thing I'd work on is the smoothness/lightness of the trigger.

I've always admired the lines of the Marlin 60 and the T/C for that matter.

Feedback Score
    Marlin model 60

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast